Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys--
I recently turbod my teg and had it professionally tuned using my VAFC-- i know its not the best tuning unit but since im OBD1 i cant get a hondata or otherstuff --PMS is my next choice----anyhow the problem i have is that
1) my dip stick keeps getting melted on the rubber that holds it in place b/c its too close to the manifold-- bad design by greddy to make the pipes that fat--DRAG doesn't have this prob. b/c their manifold is spaced like a DC header--- any ideas on how to stop that melting when i get a new dip stick-- its so bad that my stick falls all the way into the hole--hehehe nevermind----

2)for the last two days when i get on the throttle it sputters like its choking-- tach jumping to high rev but no power being made--- boost still coming on according to all gueages---

3) is it possible that some of the debris from that dip stick got into my oil pan and is now going to screw something up??

4) also i washed my motor yesterday-- if i got oil into that dip stick hole could that hurt--I would think not --it should be like blowing a head gasket then just burn out-- not like hydro lock---

5) or do you all think that its like a vaccuum leak due to air going into that hole??

sorry to make this long but i want to give as much info as possible---
thanks for your advice

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I was just thinking - maybe if you wrapped the dipstick in foil - that may deflect the heat away - or maybe get an aluminum dipstick.. just a thought. not sure if it helps you at all

·
Registered
640 Posts
It sounds like you got water in the distributer . You should cover the filter,distributer,and altinator when you wash the engine .

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hey TurboLS...my dipstick has not done what poor 95gsrturbo's has but it does get hotter than HELL!!!! I like that idea about a CC dipstick...any ideas where I can find one...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yeah the GReddy manifolds are pretty close...I had a APC dipstick melt completly in half on me before with my Rev-Hard manifold...You may try TurboLS's suggestion ! I just bought 2 Stainless Steel dipstick's no idea if that is going to work or not.

on the other note...sputtering ! Did it sputter AFTER you washed the car or before ? How does the Temp gauge look ? Normal I hope ! God help ya if the oil pump is shot ! That's what BLEW my motor & head gasket ! You don't hear any whinning sounds do ya like air escaping ?
Hopefully it's just water in the distributor...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I would agree w/ boostcontrol. check your oil pump, and also see if there is any water in the distributor. When the v-afc is hooked up, what are your settings? If it sputters as you rev upwards (being in neutral) this means that you have way too much fuel, and you need to turn your fuel down on the v-afc in a couple of spots, that should even things out.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your help guys--
1) i checked the plugs to see if i was running too rich-- I am but evidently part of the sputter was fixed---
I had water residue on the plug wires and plugs---
dont see how based on the fact that my GSR has a cover over teh wires and i was pretty careful---

2) fuel management @ sitting still is fine even if i rev to red line- or even when i drive to red line slowly-- out of boost---but if i give a hard throttle --- bad choking response-- also tach jumps -- what i mean is ill be hard on throttle and at 5000 rpm then all the sudden without changing anything the tach jumps to 7000 then back down to 6000 like its supposed to beas if the relay were bad but the engine IS revving but no power -- no movement---
3) i borrowed a friends dip stick and it seems to have solved the problem for a couple runs--- so it may be that air is getting in where it shouldnt be like pressure is lost---
but i only ran it twice like that----

turbo ls is that ceramic a paste that you rub on or mix???
how do i check my oil pump????
thanks for any replies

·
Registered
693 Posts
Do you hear any odd type of air flow or escaping sound ? Your oil pump will have to be removed and checked internally by somone who knows what they are looking for.

I hope I understand clearly...Does this surge happen in gear or out ? And is there like a delay in throttle response ? Are you blowing out any kind of smoke outta the exhaust when this happens ? If so, what color ?

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey boostcontrol-- thanks for the reply
No air flow escaping but everyonce in a while at idle if you are standing close enough to the exhaust you will hear what seems to be a misfire.
This only happens in gear at WOT (wide open throttle)
Narrow throttle gives no probs or if i drive in vacuum no prob, only at 5k with boost full.

Cant see any smoke -- there fore not a lot---- i have noticed once when i let someone run for me that it smoked when boost came on but it seemed dark so i though it was just rich-- this was about a week and a half ago.
nothing since----
i also noticed whitish/blue at startup once or twice but that hasnt happened in a while either----
any more suggestions??

·
Registered
693 Posts
Just make sure that oil pump is good to go ! And sounds like a fuel problem..Did you say you had this dyno tuned on this lil lady ? What kind of plugs you running spec em for me....gimmmie the run down on ALL parts/specs you have with the turbo/kit...Who did the install/tune etc. ?

AIM me if ya want BoostControl94

1 - 14 of 14 Posts