Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

first question: which way to point the sub? does it matter? I have a single 12" sub in a slanted box. should I stick the box vertically so that the sub points towards the trunk? or should I lay the box down flat so it points right at the top of the car? It would fit either way, but would anyone have a recommendation? I cannot test it myself yet, since I don't have an amp at the moment to drive the sub.

Second question: Upon unscrewing the sub from it's box to check on it's condition, I accidently drove my screwdriver through the foam that surrounds the sub, leaving a puncture wound (hey, 8 screws with very small thread slant...). Is this bad? is it fixable, and if so, how?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well when I played around with my sub location I found that I actually got the highest SPL with the sub facing the back of the car. And for those dumb comments that may follow...yes, I did have a meter to test this with.

As for the hole in the surround of your sub...it happens to the best of us
I did the same thing once with a RF 15" DVC. I took it to a shop and had the surround replaced. Not every stereo shop does this, I just happened to get lucky and this local shop happened to make subs and home audio speaker cabinets. They did say that most of the time it is hard to find subs that match up with the surrounds that they had so they had to be sent back to the manufacturer most of the time.

I also got a 10" JL W6 from an old friend of mine who did the same thing, only they didn't have his surround so they "repaired it" by this it looks like they glued it back together with some kind of silicone or something. They guaranteed that it would still play as good as it did before and sure enough it sounds great. Still have it hooked up in my garage actually

·
Registered
35 Posts
It sounds weak, but I worked in audio for about 7 years and we just siliconed it back together for foam surrounds. The repair will probably not last too long and it DOES affect the sound and perfomance of your sub. If you want to get it done right, I would send it back to the manufacture.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
and in the future...take a 2x4 or some other board and put it on the sub to help protect it from you slipping...even a board with a 1/2" hole will help keep this from happening...just price a piece of wood and then price that sub of your

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, and the sub's 8 years old. can't exactly send it back to the manufacturer I think.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
just go get some silicone as listed above will keep it from tearing and it does affect sound but not an incredible amount or anything!

·
Registered
152 Posts
dude, listen to these guys, the sub will eventually fade away and die
lesson learned
I had a JL 10w6 and I remember the POS surround went and I got it replaced and the surround they put on it was better than what came with it
and it sounded like crap
lol
I wasted $30

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
spets on Apr/04/04 said:
well you did say silicone screws it up, so was just wondering.
either way the surround isn't going to be the same...but I'd prefer to have a silicon just use a brush so that's it's a thin layer enough to hold it together. Marine silicon has worked well for me in the past.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
i don't believe the best way to fire the sub is towards the back...my guy makes custom enclosures and boxes for JL Audio and he said the best setup for the 94-97 integras is to fire the sub upwards since the back glass is at an angle...less travel because after it bounces off the glass it than goes fires forward...he said that's the best thing about the integra hatches...

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
LSturbointeg on Apr/05/04 said:
i don't believe the best way to fire the sub is towards the back...my guy makes custom enclosures and boxes for JL Audio and he said the best setup for the 94-97 integras is to fire the sub upwards since the back glass is at an angle...less travel because after it bounces off the glass it than goes fires forward...he said that's the best thing about the integra hatches...
In all honesty it boils down to listening preferance. There is a difference in SPL and SQ. It depends on what your wanting and you can move the box to see what YOU like best. Mine shoots of the glass but in the end it's up to you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts