Team Integra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my mp3 deck, but I would really like to have EVERYTHING I want on one disc at a decent bitrate, and this can be accomplished with a DVD unit. Pretty much all DVD units read MP3, right?

What kind of recommendations do you guys have in the range of under $300? Video quality etc is really not an issue at all, I don't see myself using it for video at all, at least not in the near future.

And I might as well post up what I have if anyone wants to know: Rockford Fosgate RFX9300, I suppose I would be wanting to trade or sell that if I found a nice DVD reading unit.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
theres only a handful of in dash units that read dvd's, and they are all $600 or more..... you aren't going to find a deck in the under $300 that does so....

and btw.. reading a DVD and reading mp3 are two totally different things, i wouldn't jump to the conclusion that because it does DVD, it does mp3

some of the decks at Crutchfield, and while their prices are typically high, it gives an idea of about what the run

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand they're completely different things, but having one makes it easy to have the other (if it has to decode MPEG-2, it should be able to decode MPEG-1 Layer-3), so most manufacturers include it. Even most home DVD players play MP3.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Pyle screen HU

DVD Source

This is about the cheapest setup I could find and it's going to be like $400 + shipping so a little more then you were wanting and like shadow said can't say anything about the quality as I haven't used any of it but like they say you get what you pay for and it applies for car audio quite a bit.
Later,
Jared

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
ya know honestly.. the head unit is the absolute last place one should look to skimp on price... its kinda like the cliche "sh*t rolls downhill"

you start with a cheap source, you are going to get cheap sound

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
MorningZ on Feb/08/04 said:
ya know honestly.. the head unit is the absolute last place one should look to skimp on price... its kinda like the cliche "sh*t rolls downhill"

you start with a cheap source, you are going to get cheap sound
ya agreed, just posted that up to say here this is what you can get it'll probably be crap but his is what you can get...Louse you'll be looking at over a $1000 for a headunit/screen that plays DVD's and that's a super low price and probably not the best thing out there by ANY means

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
after goin through soo many audio components i think i can say that a rule of thumb is ...good and inexpensive usually dont fit together in the same sentance. I think i spent more money tryin to save money on good audio until i realized that the good stuff is gonna cost me but its worth it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
LOL so true
just shelled out $500 on an alpine deck alone
and the SQ is amazing need to get some good components up front as I have the spare amp for them now
, but ya cheap/good def. don't go together

Later,
Jared

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
and its not like you cant find good deals.....

in fact, i have one of the decks i linked to for half the price its listed at...that was used on eBay of course, but thats all right, the deck works just fine

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
hey jared if u want a NICE component set i have Polk XRs i believe their called, they got for liek 200 soemthing a set but OMG theyr nice i replaced the front tweeters with them and on the back i went ahead and used my amazing dramlling skill to mount the tweetrs like right next to where the persons head woudl be sittin in the front, the sound quality is amazing, and i am not even amping it that much, and still with stock headunit

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Louse76 on Feb/08/04 said:
I love my mp3 deck, but I would really like to have EVERYTHING I want on one disc at a decent bitrate, and this can be accomplished with a DVD unit. Pretty much all DVD units read MP3, right?

What kind of recommendations do you guys have in the range of under $300? Video quality etc is really not an issue at all, I don't see myself using it for video at all, at least not in the near future.

And I might as well post up what I have if anyone wants to know: Rockford Fosgate RFX9300, I suppose I would be wanting to trade or sell that if I found a nice DVD reading unit.
actually...you would be better off finding one that dosent read mp3's or has two heads like some of the home dvd players have...

there are some misconceptions on the all in one dvd players for the home....

as I remember it, dvd players started off with a single pickup and hardware based decoding...this means a separate board does the decoding of the video and another for the audio...this is the prefered method of decoding, and when I sold these I used to have a great analogy for it...

then if you remmber correctly prices got cheaper and cheaper till they were below 100 for a unit that would play, dvd, mp3, vcd, etc... while some of the higher end (well, even 1 step above) units were still using hardware based decoders, these units started using software based decoding, which ment a single chip ran a software program on top of it, (not too unlike...say..windows media player). this made the units cheap and easy to mass produce, all you had to do was hardcode a software program onto a chip and viola, you had a 50 dollar dvd player....

it would confuse the sh*t out of people who wondered why this piece of junk from china that was 99 "did more" than a more expensive unit from a more well know brand.

however the trade off is reduced quality...and I am not talking about the visible quality, I am talking about the 1% of people who actually knew what they were looking for, and/or actually cared. however inorder to keep both the quality and the features up, some manufacturers went to a dual pickup system which integrated both a hardware based dvd component, with a software based component for the audio and ancilliary video functions..kinda the best of both worlds....

anywyas I digress....chances are most dvd players will play mp3's....its just not logical to produce one that dosent, especially since the majority of consumers, cant and dont want to tell the diffence....

good luck and if you think I have any of this wrong, remeber I sold home video sh*t for 1.5 years but this was well over a year ago, and I admit I am a bit rusty on the subject since I ahve been out of it for so long....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I don't believe we have a polk retailer here and I want to hear them before I buy just a thing I have to do before I buy speakers/HU/anything audio related...I'll checko on a retailer here.
Later,
Jared

PS. Steve the report link isn't working

Double Post

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
for steve...he had locked basically the SAME post yesterday and the guy remade the post...and the report options bringing up a an error 500...only reason no other

oh and good info on the DVD players hadn't researched that much so good info

Later,
Jared

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.