Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I messed up my front left quarter panel, but what sucks is i have a maaco red over my factory red color. My friends dad can paint my car in the factory acura red of a 94 integra for the cost of paint if i sand it. what type of sanders if any special kinds needed would be best? and if i took the beltlines off how would i get those off and filling in the holes....

·
Registered
801 Posts
For grit wise, you'll want to do a fine grit. Make sure you sand EVERYTHING because what ever doesn't get sanded, the paint WILL chip off. You'll be best off using an orbital sander; if not then you'll want to wet sand it. Like I said, multiple sandings will need to happen. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If your friend's dad is knowledgable about painting, I'd ask him to help you.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
ask integrapunk, from washington... he knows his shat about paint and body

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Undertaking sanding a whole car without experience is a big job. 90% of the final product comes from the prep work. It is definitely the most important so you want it done right. Like cheezmonger said if your friends dad has experience painting I would definitely ask him for help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
are you going to do any body work like dents and stuff or just sanding it all? eather way you should for sure ask this guy that will help you. but using a orbital sander will go faster but you run more of a chance of sanding to much if you do any way (sand down to metal) make sure you put down some self-etching primer where there is metal showing. use block sanding for the final sanding job and use something less corse than 180 grit before priming anything more corse then that will show up after priming. oh and i know you used wax and greas remover before you started sanding. there is alot to know and this guy should atleast help you out on what to do.

·
Registered
708 Posts
sand whole car with 180->Fill primer the whole thing->320(wet sand maby) then just paint. Worked perfect for me, could not be happier. Make shure you scotch bright the side door bumps if you paint them too. Just give me a call bish, I will most likely end up helping you anyways, lol.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i've painted cars cuz its my trade, do a 320 all around till its smooth u dont have to get all the paint of jus most of it an dont sand out too much, after if u can mix the bondo wit some hardener then paste it onto the dents u cant knock out, after it dries use a cheese grator to to grate off the excess bondo then sand it off again. to make a good finish use like a 1500 wet sand an wet sand the car b4 u prime, also dont forget to wet sand b4 u paint and after u clear the car wet sand and buff to get the best finish

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
crix868 on Jan/30/06 said:
i've painted cars cuz its my trade, do a 320 all around till its smooth u dont have to get all the paint of jus most of it an dont sand out too much, after if u can mix the bondo wit some hardener then paste it onto the dents u cant knock out, after it dries use a cheese grator to to grate off the excess bondo then sand it off again. to make a good finish use like a 1500 wet sand an wet sand the car b4 u prime, also dont forget to wet sand b4 u paint and after u clear the car wet sand and buff to get the best finish
320 is good for sanding the car down with... but you will want to grind all the paint off wherever you bondo. And if you cant knock a dent out you dont wanna just fill it with bondo... The MOST you should ever have is 1/2" thick of bondo, even 1/8" is pushing it... The average joe won't have a cheese grater so they will probably just want to sand it with some 40/80/180.

No offense but, sanding the primer with 1500? Are you gonna follow up with a polish after that? The most you will really need is like 600. Unless you're going all out and doin a real nice job where you are stripping the car down to bare metal, priming, blocking, priming, blocking, priming and blocking, then theres no need to go so fine. If you are using a sealer under your paint it will probably absorb 320 grit scratches, but i would try to get everything in 600 before you paint.

Lastly, the method of sanding is largely personal preference... You can do all this dry or wet. Doing it wet keeps the dust down but you get a watery mess everywhere and it can be kinda annoying IMO. Doing it dry just makes everything dusty... I have done both, and personally prefer dry sanding (I use a DA most of the time still however).

If i was you, i would get yourself a nice longblock and start by blocking the car down with 320 until theres no more clear on it. That will straighten up the panels quite a bit and give you a much better finished product. You could start with 180, then follow up with 320, which will save a lot of time, just make sure you get it finished with 320 real nicely if you do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.