Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys well i own a 99 gsr but i wanna upgrade a little i found a 06 rsx type s completely stock. i just wanna know is going from a gsr to a type s worth it? or should i stick with my gsr?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I think you will like the Type-S, myself, having owned both. However, opinions will vary. Drive the RSX and see if you like it. Stock GS-R to stock Type-S, it will be an improvement. Modified GS-R to stock Type-S might not. But the Type-S can be modded as well.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
one thing I notice between the two models is the RSX is much quieter overall... it's almost "too nice and quiet"...

the K20 feels so much torque-ier than the B18... probably the reason why a K-swap is seemingly a popular choice.... there were a ton of Tegs at ITR Expo last year with K's in them

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my gsr is modded but it's been kind of a problem car for me so i just kinda wanna sell it and try something new like a type s

·
Registered
69 Posts
Morning Z is right, it is a nicer ride. seats are WAAAYYY more comfy. First thing I noticed in the comfort department. Torque is much greater as well which I think is nice. But it is a quieter ride in general. I feel more disconnected from the rsx than I did the gsr. I would take my gsr over the rsx any day, but that's theives for ya...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah but i'm having problems with my gsr :( there is a guy that lives in my town that is selling a legit type r cheaper then the type s i was looking at.. should i look into that??

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
Itr are more rare
I like the dc4 body more than the dc5

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
If it's a legit ITR, and there's nothing questionable in its history, I'd rather have it. Do you have a garage to keep it in? If not, I'd pass, for security reasons. G3's get enough attention from thieves. Having an ITR in the drive would be like an engraved invitation.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Yeah unless you have a garage and a second car to drive daily, I wouldn't really consider an ITR for everyday use due to theft. The RSX is less likely to get messed with by thieves.

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
It's just like buying any other car, you have to look in to all the factors. How much do you drive it? Will it be worth anything in 10 years? How badly has it been beaten on? I know some people (in my family specifically) that will never buy a new car, and I know others that will never buy used.

The Type-S has far more in the way of computers and technology to work with but it's been out long enough for people to figure it out - still the parts to fix it will be more expensive. It'll also likely cost you more on insurance than your current GS-R but the Type-R may be at the top of that list. The Type-S (IIRC) has a 6 speed and you'll get great mileage if you commute a lot on the freeway. I recommend sitting down and literally doing a dollar-for-dollar comparison with the two/three cars you're considering and include everything: horsepower, fun level, gas mileage, insurance cost etc etc. That has helped a few people I know decide.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I personally love my type s, it doesn't feel like it sits as low or handle as well as my old gsr, but I like everything else about it. It looks pretty good. It is a newer car, I love the motor. Once you get it, start to build it, you'll learn to love it just as any other car. There are still times I miss my gsr, but I'm happy with my type s. I wouldn't get a type r, I'd be afraid to drive it anywhere, and the fact that you would have to sleep with one eye open. -.- .

·
Registered
243 Posts
And I really didn't get to enjoy the nice and quiet stage. Lol, I got a 2.5 inch straight pipe exhaust that makes more noise then I can enjoy, so I can't really chime in on how quiet they r, I simply just don't remember it. Lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dc5's a nice cars, ride smooth, and are quite, But type-r would just break necks.
I say keep your gs-r for your dd and get a type r for your weekend car and just pray it doesn't get messed with. Or even build your gs-r. I'm in the process of buying a gsr

·
Registered
521 Posts
Old thread but I just want to give my 2 cent. Finally got a rsx-s I've been looking for and have daily it for about a 6 weeks now.

I was expecting similarity since they are integras but man.. two whole different cars (compared to my modded 99 gsr).

Suspension:
One thing I hear alot about is dc5 crappy suspension compared to dc2. I have not felt any loss there, there is more roll but I hope some suspension upgrade and chassis stiffeners will compensate some of it. Steering ratio feels amazing. The lack of LSD is noticeable.

In cabin:
Engine sounds great, not as loud as b-series which some might say is a good thing. Cabin is much quieter and ride comfort is phenomenal compared to dc2. The seats are very nice, the shifter is at the right position, and all touch points are close and have real Acura quality. It seems to be sound insulated very well. I also have perfect view of my surrounding.

Power:
This K20 outshines itself. Awesome motor. With AC on full, barely feel power loss if any at all. Although it is +2800lb, it doesn't show any sluggish movement. Thanks to the 6th gear, cruising on highway is much less stressful.

The improvement I've mainly notice are the ones the problems i had with my dc2.

1. The higher rooftop, raised center console, short shifting, close shifter and longer leg room made daily driving enjoyable. Because I am tall and have long leg, I can finally sit back, shift, and pedal work at the same time.

2. I cruise highway alot and going 80 at 4k rpm is not fun. The 6-speed is a big plus.

3. Like I mentioned before, engine noise, road noise, wind noise, rough ride are either hate it or love it. After driving for a while, I grew tired of all that and demanded a smoother ride.

4. Occasionally I hop back on the gsr for the power I have invested into it. But with all the performance parts available for k-series and it's potential, I believe I can get more power with less buck.

Overall the dc5 is more balanced, the more I drive it, the less I miss my gsr. Once I finish whatever build I decided on the dc5, eventually I will sell my gsr just because it is being replaced by a better car.

I feel more tired driving a dc2 then dc5. I just don't see my gsr practical anymore. Some people prefer dc2 over dc5 and I was on the same boat, until i drove a rsx-s. To anyone who have the chance to drive one, do it. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am actually in this exact position. My 95 GSR has 136k miles but will not pass emissions anymore and I have just been throwing money at it. I can honestly say that the GSR is quite dear to me and I have never considered selling it up to this point. I've been looking at possibly getting an 06 RSX S with 56k miles, but they are asking 17k. I am scared to go drive it in fear that I will like it and buy it then have regrets later. What a ****ty position to be in!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts