Team Integra Forums banner

301 - 320 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
I love freshening up parts as you're doing, keep up the good work! How are you cleaning the bolts specifically? Soak of some kind?
I must have fell asleep at the wheel, I thought i replied to you sir, my apologies. Yes, just regular spray paint and degreaser. Some i wire brush, the others come clean with normal brushing.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Hmm good to know! I tend to go the lazy route sometimes and just buy new bolts/nuts from my local hardware store. They must love me lol.
Well sometimes I wish I could have done that entirely but those are areas I can always revisit. Right now I battle with staying focused. I get sidetrack buying parts that don't get the car any closer to running. I need to cut that out big time.

Revisiting the moment, the body shop allowed me time to get my suspension together, so that the car would be a rolling shell. As more pcs came in, I was able to complete my used 32mm 5 lug.

after spending so much time with these bolts ID'ing them came instinctive. bagged accordingly.

front shields

front knuckle hardware

ordered moog fronts, as oem was 3-5 days, again, time was of the essence.

a few hours later on the press and viola
[/url]

[/url]

cali or not, anti seize is clutch

and some of those non essentials I mentioned that keeps rearing their ugly head.

A decent set of clear corners for the UK bumper

a clean set a sold and later bought back from my friend insidious Jorge, these will be for the new oem bumper.

after some conjecture with friends, being that the car is yellow, I've decided to switch it's theme from Mugen to spoon. :/ I've been blessed to trade and barter for the following pcs. As you can see I'm pretty whimsical, time is my enemy LOL. The spoon wires were not kept well, so I cleaned them and ironed them out using zip ties.

as time elapsed I found the Kevlar cover cheap

revisited the goods again for this wholesome pic

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #305 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I apologize for the hiatus. I've been very "busy" with life. I haven't updated my thread in such a while; I haven't abandoned the build at all. A lot of personal life has came along and derailed my vision and progress. Growing pains. The good news is, I have some updates to share...YEEE! This cars theme has been taken a whole new direction, without boring you all with words, I'll just let the pictures roll. I know I liked the comment but thank you Tech9.

Loaded up on short notice; I used some weds sports to retrieve the R from the paint shop.

3/30/18 - They were kind enough to let me install it there.

The night she returned home - here she'd stay, stagnant, collecting dust for the next 12 months LOL

There's no day after pill, when choosing colors - The following day.

I was tired of looking at this red fender and ordered some paint match online to see the results. Did this outside, smart right? yeah I know! It was fun to see an aerosol can net some good results, If I tried my best I could have only imagined the results - sucks the hue was off.

This would be our last point of contact until 2018.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #306 (Edited)
Before I continue onto the engine ( which I'll begin to post tomorrow ), I forgot to post the WANG, can't have an ITR w/out the wang!!! Sourced via FB.

Missing Post - I chose MR/HR rear T/A Bushings. I never would go back to stock here.

CSR Rotors / RSX-S Rear Calipers

Calipers for the front, all 4 corners will get re-done, and front rotors will be purchased soon.

Spoon goods carried over ( the wheel is now in retirement, I was using it daily, until one thread began to come a loose :( )

Mr.Ichisama-san and I at a track event and my sedan I used before I gave it to my brother.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I watch this guy on YouTube, called HandToolRescue, He uses Evaporust and it seems like it gets the parts clean and unrusty very well. Check it out, pretty cool stuff he has restored.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Well, onto the power plant. This was inspired by spoon theology. Not down to the T, but a derivative of their theology. There are so many images I don't know where to begin, it won't be organized, but hopefully as chronological as I can get it without loosing hair.

- This was the beginning, the cams would set the tone for this build. Edlebrock 4730. After a lot of reading and learning about this camshaft I decided it would be perfect for the ITR. I don't care about max whp (strange, I know). My focus is efficiency, longevity and mid-range street performance.

Some parts thanks to Ferdo and my brotha Jona

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Tonights post is simple and sweet. Finding, organizing, and uploading the engine images have become a task of its own.

- LMAs ( Lightened, polished, positionally balanced )

Gross Weight Vs Gross Weight Reduction

safe to say "net weight" vs. "net weight"-reduction?

* Ninja Edit. I may have left the nuts and screws in the OEM LMAs. I'll have to weigh those separately and re-calculate. Upset I didn't take a picture of the items facing the same way. Doesn't seem like something I'd do, but it happened. I do not wish to share mis-information, nor do I wish to spread "inflated" data.

Thanks
Joel.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
Next, I focused on the cylinder head, where I'd use my skill or lack thereof to port it, polish the chambers and exhaust housing.

The stages of port work. For the Exh side, I only remove casting flaws and bend the bowls. For the intake side, I open that up and port match per gasket. The "swirl scars" were left purposely. This will be the first engine out of two that I built that I've tried the polished exhaust and combustion chamber. The other head is much smoother.

All ready to drop off at the machine shop.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #312 (Edited)
Been awhile since I last visited your page. New project is looking good!!!!! Someday I will take the time to strip my car down and do a restore on all the parts also.
Thanks Silvia, trying to take my time and give it a solid go. I hope the forums are stringer than ever and I get to stop in and check on you!

Let the bottom end begin…. I’ll elaborate if that’s ok with everyone. I hate to be long winded sometimes but it may be the only way things take shape. My goal for this engine as stated before is primarily efficiency and longevity. I bought the block and cylinder head separately not knowing hoe they once lived their lives. I do know the cylinder head was a virgin.

The block, I knew nothing about it, except it was a b18c5 missing pcs. The only pcs I never logged, or can’t seem to find image of are the crank and rods. I did know that I wanted a engine with a slight bump in factory power, a race motor wasn’t necessary. With all the machine work, flat valves, and USDM CR pistons; I’d land right where I wanted to be all said and done w/ a JDM B18C ratio. The cams being a hare more aggressive than a CTR, the intake manifold out flowing the JDM ITR, and the header being the best complimentary to mid range ( like the JDM ITR header ) would mentally make this my perfect blend of a stock motor w/ bolt ons.

The classic, tried and true Nippon piston. I later ditched the pistons rings in favor of the hi-po version rings.

rods & pistons mated, this is after the rotation assembly balancing

back peddling a bit, Engine layout. This is the only image I have that has the water pump, oil pump, etc before assembly. I’m sure everyone know the concept of this image, LOL.

edited version

Block Assembly

Let's kick this off w/ the one and only..... bare naked bruiser

Hope the plasti-gauge is visible

It is/was, very difficult to take an image of this step haha - holding the camera with one hand, trying to press the snap button and keeping this gauge "ruler" on point w/ the other. Brain tease for sure.

Now here's my doubtful nag in the back of my mind until this day...Should I had ceramic coated the combustions chambers as well, instead of slaving on polishing them? I'll never know (unless I have to rebuild this setup, Gods pray life, I never have too.)

No need to waste paper, I'll just write it on the block.

Missing Files - Ecstatic I Found these; no special order.

Same Edelbrock 4730 cams, just redecorated.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
Induction Planning

Knowing the specs of my build to be, I wanted the best manifold I could purchase for the coin. Thanks to what's left out there I concluded the performer X would be the one. It was just a matter of finding one. After I purchased mine, it seems they surfaced more frequently. Just happy I was able to locate one in good condition.

Port Matched to Gasket.

IDK why, but I found this cool. An imperfection in the casting.

Exhaust Improvements

As mentioned before, this engine was never destined for massive power, just a power up. I didn't mind that a real toda header wasn't implemented because I'm not after the cool points. I just want what works. I do know and fully understand the weight of my choice. There's a unfortunate gary area for me with replica parts.

Lesson? Quality suffers, when saving pennies. Good thing my port hand was way strong this day!

Final Finish

Engine Assembly Continued

The Joy of building/assembling something with your own two hands. Not everyone can purchase brand new parts, so I hoped to build this engine and inspire those. I see tons of cars loaded with mods, just to see their mods list two iPhone note pages long. Some of the most hideous mods you can put on a car. The point is, tact. A little paint goes a long way, a little cleaning makes old look new, a little planning saves waisted time and money on senseless mods.

There was so much prep to give it that fresh look without buying new bolts or paying to have them re-zinc'd. It was the proper "patina."

301 - 320 of 341 Posts