Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have serach and search and i still can't seem to find the answer i wondering what gauge would be nessary to have i only have a volt right now but i want to get one or 2 more but which ones i know there vacum, oil pressure, oil temp, air fuel, boost, water temp. i dont' need a boost gauge since i not boosting yet so what other one would be nessary i have only a volt so hope u guys can help

·
Registered
689 Posts
you have no real needs for any gauges. a/f is a waste unless you get one that works with a wideband/and get a wideband sensor. water temp and oil pressure would be decent, that will let ya know if you have any serious problems on your hand. volt meter is alright to have , but u really dont need them. if you car is stock with some bolt ons... i dont see a need

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
It really depends on what you want to monitor.

Many agree that oil pressure and water temp would be "critical" information. Vacuum gauge would be the most active, and could aid in monitoring fuel economy and also identifying engine trouble.

Also keep in mind that there's 2 types of gauges: electrical and mechanical. Electrical gauges use a sending unit at the source and convert it to electrical current which moves the needle. Mechanical gauges are plumbed into the engine directly. In the case of an oil pressure gauge, a nylon oil line is attached to the engine and the line gets pressurized by the oil pump and sends the pressurized oil to the gauge.

For a mechanical water temp gauge, a metal tube is filled with ether. one end is permanently attached to the gauge, the other end is capped off with a probe that gets plumbed into the engine's cooling system. When the coolant temperature rises, the ether in the line gets pressurized, moving the needle on the gauge.

For many types of sanctioned racing, mechanical gauges are prohibited for safety reasons. Just imagine your grief when your oil line breaks inside the cabin! Another consideration to think about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.