Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has a g3 integra, and i was looking at his "shortshifter" but he didnt buy it, he cut it himself. the throw does feel shorter than mine (stock),but does cutting your stock shifter really act as a shortshifter,or shorten your shift throw any? if so i would rather spend 5 min cutting,than 20+ dollars buying

thanks guys

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Yes, slightly.

Since in either end of the gear, the shifter is sitting at an angle, the higher up on that angle you are holding the linkage, the longer you will need to move it from point to point.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys.

yeah i think im going to cut it. i mean if it shortens the throw....basically for free its worth it. and if it does break down the road,ill just spend the 20+ bucks i wouldda spent for the shifter in the firstpalce.

but rednsx....what are you talkin about?? lol

thx guys..keep the posts comin

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually,i dont know what shifter your looking at,but the shortshifters ive seen,are shorter by inches.....

not saying your wrong,just the shifters ive seen are shorter

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I cut mine real low and had my dad weld it together. The throw is pretty short but not as short as when I had my ebay "ITR" one in. I've had it for about 8months now, no problems holding strong.

link

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
you aren't really shortening the shift that much then if you are just cutting it, you are just doing something for looks. For a really noticable short throw, you have to buy one, cuz the distance the ball in the shifter from the gear changes in a short throw, something cutting doesn't do. Rednsx is completely right. Its all physics. and if you only spend 20 bux on a short throw, it ain't worth it. Do it right, or don't do it at all. those 20 dollar ones tend to break a lot too, and i don't know about you, but i don't want my shifter breaking when i drive. Bad news right there.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
tim on Jan/31/04 said:
you aren't really shortening the shift that much then if you are just cutting it, you are just doing something for looks. For a really noticable short throw, you have to buy one, cuz the distance the ball in the shifter from the gear changes in a short throw, something cutting doesn't do. Rednsx is completely right. Its all physics.
That's incorrect. If you cut 2" off of the stock shifter, it will reduce throw. The placement of the ball does have a greater affect but it does not mean cutting it is just for looks.

Check out this diagram below. "A" is the stock shifter. Now imaging cutting it in half. See what I mean now?

My car...

"ITR" ebay short shifter vs. modified stock.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
"the goal to the short shifter is to have a shorter throw, by adding length below the ball and subtracting length from the top."
taken from jacksont001. Notice the cheap itr one and the normal one, then look at how longer the itr one is near the bottom under the ball, that is why it is a short shifter. Not bc, it is shorter overall. You are trying to speed up shifts by moving that ball less, not by having a shorter stick.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
you may get shorter throws with a cut one, but really, all you get is not near that of a short throw shifter and you have to cut it and all that. It just doesn't seem worth it, since you aren't accomplishing that much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Say i wanted to cut my shifter...
where do i start ? and how far down should i cut it for it to last da longest without breaking.
remember this is a G2 teg.

·
Registered
747 Posts
With all this hassle why can someone just buy a real short shifter instead of having to mess around with one's that is not. It is proven fact that short shifter are made from a reason. Eventhough if you try to cut it yourself and make it a short shifter you are still missing out the point. And Tim is right about this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
this is so cool, about two days ago i got the same idea to cut my stock shifter! i took a hack saw and chopped off the tread part of the arm and there was a noticeable diffence in the throw. i believe it just as good as my friends short thow he has in his h/b.keep it real and keep it safe,late

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
tim on Feb/01/04 said:
you may get shorter throws with a cut one, but really, all you get is not near that of a short throw shifter and you have to cut it and all that. It just doesn't seem worth it, since you aren't accomplishing that much.
True, that "ITR" ebay short shifter has a shorter throw. I won't disagree with you there, but my modified stock still has a pretty short throw especially compared to bone stock.

Next time you are in your car, grab your shifter underneath your OEM shift knob and do some shifting. You'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
478 Posts
white_rice on Feb/02/04 said:
Next time you are in your car, grab your shifter underneath your OEM shift knob and do some shifting. You'll see what I mean.
And while you are doing that, notice how much "stiffer" or harder to shift it is. I'm not denying that cutting your shifter while reduce your throw somewhat, but without lengthening the distance below the ball (as mentioned in previous posts) you have to work harder to move the shifter because you have less leverage on it. You dont have this problem as much with a real short shifter.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
i do grab it under the shifter, but then i feel dirty, like i'm jerking the teg. No, i don't doubt it shifts a little faster, but as i don't race ever, i don't really care. The point i am making is that it is an option to cut, but it is no way indeed the same as a short shifter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts