Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned two integras to date. A 2001 Special Edition (brand new), and a 2000 Gsr. I have noticed with the both of them that when the car is stationary, and you go to shift the car into reverse the shifter will not slide into the gear fully. It sort of feels like it is caught on something. It shifter stops about half to three quarters and then you have to try again and again until finally it goes all the way in. What is the deal with this? Any possible explainations? Or is it a common problem with all integras? Post your replies...

P.S. The clutch is fully engaged pressed right to the floor.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
As far as I know, it's common. My 98 RS has the same problem. How I do it is lightly let the clutch up and then retry putting it into reverse.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's a honda problem. I owned a '99 civic, a '88 hatch(with a clutchmasters clutch and shortshifter) and now my teg and reverse rarely goes in to gear on the first attempt. Just put it in 1st or any gear then go to reverse.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
go to first and then reverse...

if you go to wwww.howstuffworks.com and check out manual trannys, it explains how there are no syncros for reverse....what is happening as I understand it, is the layshaft is stopping in a position that is keeping the reverse gear from engaging, I always would roll forward slightly and then it would go in with no problem....thing I always hated was when someone else would drive the car for the first time and invariably it would happen to them.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 91 teg, same thing.... except now it looks like I learned a couple tricks to try on it instead of grinding it in to reverse, which is what I usually do.... I dread that noise. thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i believe it is because reverse is a non-synchronized gear...its not meant to slip in and out of easily...mine does the same thing

·
Registered
189 Posts
put in first then second then reverse will slide in easily it is common with honda/acura manual trannys

·
Registered
537 Posts
lol, my 92 civic used to do that. I used to shift into 1st then bring it back to R and it would slide right in.

give it a try..

·
Registered
239 Posts
if you park your car in 1st, rather than neutral, it rarely occurs, i found. even if you never engage 1st gear when you start, just coming straight from 1st to reverse is smooth.

my 86 accord did the same thing. it's still better than BMW or Porsche where you have to manually switch the synch.

·
Registered
186 Posts
NtegraDryvr on Feb/04/04 said:
I just let out on the clutch and put it back in, works 98% of the time.
Yep.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
It's not a problem, or even specific to integras whatsoever. It's called the way manual transmissions are designed.

Click me

note how reverse works in the interactive transmission thing...

Thus, if both shafts are not moving and the teeth are not aligned, it wont go into gear. Double clutching or putting it into another gear first cause one of the shafts to move, thus letting you in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts