Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this is what happend:
i was driving around town for a while and i parked in a praking lot,and chilled there with my car idling.i look down at my temp guage and the thing is sitting on H i was like WTF,so i turned off the car got out and there was steam rising from my hood.i opended my hood and my reserve coolant resevoir tank is filled to the top with boiling...and i mean boiling coolant. so i waited there for like 10 min to let the motor cool,turned the car back on,drove to my friends house and it didnt go past the normal temp mark. so when i got to my friends house,i poped the hood and (btw its night time during all this) poor coolant in the radiator...but the thing is full already.so far my car hasnt overheated,but one time i found the needle a 1/4 of a way to H,then it went bakc down to normal when i cut it off,waited 2 min,and took off again.what could be wrong?

btw: right now im running straight coolant. no 50/50ratio becasue the radiator in there now is temporary.

·
Registered
543 Posts
replace your thermostat. It's stuck in the closed position, thus no coolant is flowing into the block, and it is sitting there in the radiator boiling from the heat of the engine. You can get a replacement thermostat at NAPA for about 40 bucks, and then replace it yourself in about 30 minutes. Make sure you bleed your coolant lines afterwards.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
1994B18B1 on Feb/16/04 said:
replace your thermostat. It's stuck in the closed position, thus no coolant is flowing into the block, and it is sitting there in the radiator boiling from the heat of the engine. You can get a replacement thermostat at NAPA for about 40 bucks, and then replace it yourself in about 30 minutes. Make sure you bleed your coolant lines afterwards.
$40 for a thermostat? remind me not to shop at NAPA!

usually they go for less than $15

·
Registered
269 Posts
one of the reasons you may be expeieriancing your problems is because you ARE running straight coolant. coolant in its pure form is a gel like form which could explain why you may be overheating. while your engien is tryign to cycle your coolant it may be clogging your stat and also your water pump and other passageways within your motor. flush your system throughly and refill it with 50/50 mix. you may also want to change your stat while your at it and check your water pump to make sure it is spinning freely.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Straight coolant? Why would you ever think of doing that?

Flush the system fully. I would change the thermostat while your at it and inspect all of your hoses.

Refill with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. If your timing belt/water pump service has not been performed yet DO IT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.