Team Integra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly recently, I decided to change to Full Synthetic Oil (I've used Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec).

Honda's Recommended Oil change interval is 7500 mi (no way in HELL would I go that long)...most people recommend 3000.

I'm usually one to try to be pre-emptive about maintenance...trying to change things a bit before the recommended interval.

Considering that Full Synthetic oils are SO good, and the largest reason for changing oil is oil breakdown, one could rationalize that it could be changed less often.

However, an oil change doesn't only change the oil, but changes the filter, too. Considering Honda recommends 7500 on the filter, maybe it really is good for that long. If the recommended oil/filter change intervals are figured for conventional oils, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to lengthen the interval for changes. I'm not talking about going like 10k or anything stupid like that. I was just wondering what you guys' opinions of going possibly 4500-5000 miles per change (using synthetic) would be. I'm just wondering if I'm throwing money away by changing full synthetic every 3000 miles. I mean, it costs around 4X as much to use synthetic when compared to conventional.

I know there's the whole argument of "built-in obsolesence" with maintainence...i.e. that Honda may tell you an oil change interval that would work, but wouldn't be as good b/c they don't WANT your car to run for 200k miles.

So, what would be you guys' opinions on oil change intervals using full synthetic? 4000, 4500, 5000, 6000?

I'm sure we can argue this 'till we're all blue in the face....but I really don't see any problem to extend the interval to 4000 or 4500 or MAYBE even 5000. Extending it to 4500 would get me an extra 50% out of the oil.

As a side note, I usually add around 2 qts to my car during the period between changes from burn-off from driving in VTEC.

Sorry for the novel.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
BMW says 10k miles b/w oil changes

I use(d) Amsoil 10w30 synth and change every 2k miles (turbo)
(rebuilding new motor)

People's opinions will vary on whether or not synthetic is worth the money. If you run the crap out of your car day to day, i would change every 3k, if your not then 5k is ok

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guitar1550 on Feb/14/04 said:
change it as frequently as possible

That makes no sense... WHY throw away money when you don't need to? As often as possible, huh? Well, it's POSSIBLE to change it about every week. Buy WHY? WHY flush money down the drain when you're not getting ANY benefit from it? Not to say it wouldn't be beneficial, but I'm speaking of benefits you can SEE. If I'm not going to see any appreciable difference between changing at 3000 and 4500...WHY drop the extra money? Think about it...

Quote: DragGSR on Feb/14/04 I use(d) Amsoil 10w30 synth and change every 2k miles (turbo)
Yeah, I dunno if I'd be using synthetic and changing it every 3k!

Why is it that you change oil on turbo cars more often? I've always wondered that.

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Integra15lb on Feb/14/04 said:
turbo cars create more heat therfore breaking down the oil faster.
That makes sense...

But I've heard from some pretty reliable sources that synthetic oils aren't subject to breakdown--at least not NEARLY as bad as conventional oils.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
thats why they cost more. the reason to change oil as frequently as possible assumming you rev the hell out of your car like i do is because no matter what theres gonna be little shavings of metal stuff the filters miss whatever in the oil so change it often as possible,im changing oil every 2500-3000 now.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
Synthetics break down MUCH slower than conventional. Hell, most conventional oil can easily go 7500 before breaking down, it's just that you'll have too much crap (like metal shavings) in the oil.

If you're running synthetic, you can probably push it as high as 6000 safely. Maybe invest in a magnetic oil drain plug for some extra insurance.

·
Registered
1992 Acura Integra LS
274 Posts
Okay you guys are making it way too complicated. Check the dipstick at every 1500 miles, e.g. 1500, 3000, 4500, etc. or more frequently, esp. when u hear a little more noise from your engine (clickity clickity...). Add if necessary and change if necessary.

once the oil starts getting a little icky (dark & thick), perhaps you should highly consider changing it!

Hell you could go 1000 miles and need a change for what i care. You could take it well above 5000 miles as well if it looked fine.

It is your call. I rev mine up at least once a day and every chance i get on the weekends. I changed mine at 4500 miles once i couldn't tolerate the darkness and the fact that l well exceeded 3k.

In this case i used synthetic for a vtec engine but i apply this to my other car (non vtec) which uses conventional.

I am reading up on the mixing and from what i've seen it is okay to mix provided it isn't so much that u dilute the synthetic too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you're running synthetic and changing it every 3000 miles you are wasting your money. Most conventional motor oils will go 5,000 miles before their properties/capabilities begin to be diminished to the point of needing a change. Keep in mind that contamination isn't the only thing to consider when considering engine oils. Engine oil also lubricates, act as a buffer and cools parts in addition to cleaning.

At 3,000 mile intervals the difference between conventional oil and synthetic oil are minimal. one of the benefits of synthetic oil is that you can run longer OCIs because the oil's properties are superior to conventional oil. This does not mean that conventional oils are necessarily inferior however. It depends on the application. It is just as easy to run an engine to 200,000 miles on conventional oil as it is to run an engine to 200,000 miles using synthetic oil.

There is only one way to tell how long you can run any given oil on any given engine: Do a used oil analysis. Any other opinion is more or less speculation. Now, here is a fairly good opinion based on experience and several used oil analysis: With the B18 series engines your average conventional oil (e.g., Motorcraft, Pennzoil, Castrol) can be ran safely to 5,000 miles. With a true synthetic oil (e.g., Mobil 1, Redline), 7,500 miles is easy.

The color of an oil is also not a very good method of considering when to change an engine oil. And changing oil more than once every 3,000 miles as a standard practice is an absolute waste of time with no benefits. I would not run most engine oil filters past 5,000 miles but just because you change the oil filter doesn't mean you have to change the oil at the same time. Just change the filter and add enough oil to top off the engine. There are certain oil filters that I'd feel comfortable running to 7,500 miles but that's another thread.

Finally, the above applies primarily to street driven cars. When considering cars that are regularly autocrossed or raced one should obviously use different oil change intervals.

C Rock, to make a good recommendation on engine oil I'd need to know mileage, driving style and engine type. Rest assured that modern engine oils are awesome and you would be hard pressed to find a bad one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.