Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This motor has been struggling ever since i bought it.. Did a headgasket job on it everything started and worked fine for a test drive atleast.. next day i went to the junkyard on the way there it was smoking a little but not from the exhaust.. i was near the yard so i decided to just drive it there.. i come back to the car no start D: i saw a hose was disconnected and all the coolant leaked out the motor was a little hot... so i filled water still no start.. towed it home checked the fuel filter for fuel its getting fuel.. checked for spark its getting spark compression tested 125 150 150 145... Still no start.. what can it be?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after letting it sit for a couple days i tried to start it and now it makes a knocking noise every couple revolutions.. oil looks good

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
It cranks. It has spark, and it has fuel, so only other piece of the combustion triangle is compression.

Your compression test is worryingly low.

Check timing to make sure you didn't mis-time it when you did the head gasket. From the description, it sounds like things didn't go back together 100%.

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
I'm not sure what compression a B20 should have in a known good condition, but it seems like if the 3 main things: spark, fuel, and compression are all within decent ranges, then perhaps you have an ignition issue like a bad ICM or something.

Have you looked into the distributor?

From the description, it sounds like the motor turns over, but just doesn't fire.

Have you tried doing the half cap or teaspoon of oil into each cylinder (without spark plugs/wires) test to try to bump up compression?

You could try that and see if compression improves dramatically

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
another thing is my temp gauge doesnt work so idk if i overheated the motor.... the two cam gears are on time i havent checked the crank yet but the car drove fine until i tried to restart it would timing cause that? and im getting spark at the plugs so would the dizzy even be bad?

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
check for dangling wires near the passenger's side of the cylinder head. Chances are, your coolant temp sensor plug fell off of the engine.

Get the cams to TDC and see where the single mark on the crank sits w/ respect to the mark on the lower timing belt cover. It doesn't take long and will tell you a lot about the engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah its plugged in.. and yeah ill check the timing tomorrow... I will paypal 5 dollars to whoever solves my no start problem.. first to comment ofcourse wins

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try the ICM (ignitor) in the dizzy. If that craps out on you, it won't spark at the right time, so ecu won't allow motor to start. There are a few threads here that describe the tests for a dizzy, see if any of those fail then replace what fails.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when i try to tumble it makes a KNOCKING noise.. idk what it is... i spun the crank witha 19mm by hand and i dont feel anything.. but as i try to start the car it makes a knocking noise.. anyone have any adivce or tips to look out for? suggestions anything

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i ment i dont feel any knocking or anything like that.. it definetly has compression, i compression tested it plus it was very hard to spin with the 19mm like a typical motor.... engine timing is dead on TDC both cams and crank

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
OK... next thing to watch is how fast each cylinder gets to its maximum compression number.

Count the number of cranks it takes for each one. If one takes longer, it could be a spun rod bearing or something... Have you popped the valve cover to make sure nothing looks weird in the valvetrain?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts