Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 integra with an all stock b18a1. Nothing fancy. It all started when I ran her out of fuel a few months ago. I figured I burned up the fuel pump or sucked some scum out of the bottom of the tank so I bought a brand new fuel pump (import direct oreillys brand). I carefully took the fuel tank off and installed the new pump. I even dumped all the old gas out into a bucket and got all the flakey stuff out. I made sure the screener bag was clean too. Put it all back together and the pump still won't prime.

This isn't my first rodeo so next I assumed it was a bad relay. I went back to oreillys and got a brand new relay and plugged it up. This did not make a difference either. Frustrated to the max, I went through all the ground wires under the hood, cleaned them with a wire brush and fastened them back. Still no prime.

If I turn the key over the starter gives it hell and cranks like crazy but obviously with no fuel coming in it's not gonna start.

What have I missed? I know when you turn the key to "on" the check engine light is supposed to come on with the first relay tick and then you will hear the fuel pump hum through the back seat and then it ticks again and the check engine light is supposed to turn off after the pump primes... but what it is doing instead is just staying solid no matter what position the key is in. No prime, no second tick.

If the fuel pump and relay are brand new, what other conditions could cause the pump to not prime? Could this be a sudden wiring issue that coincidentally arose when I ran out of fuel? I have done frankenstein engine swaps in civics and accords and seen my fair share of problems but I've never been so stumped. I feel like a dope! Please help me guys.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Using a voltmeter confirm that there is power right at the pump. If there isn't, you could simply rewire the pump instead of trying to chase down the problem. That may be easier. Also, do you have an aftermarket alarm that may be causing the issue? Or could you tell if someone had previously hot wired the fuel pump? If so, then perhaps the other relay might have gone bad. You would just need to find where it was hidden by chasing the wires from the tank..

·
Registered
704 Posts
Do you know anyone with a working ECU to try out? By coincidence, your ECU could have taken a crap at the same time. When they go bad, the CEL light stays on for a long time before it primes or it doesn't prime at all.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What i've done in the past for these kind of issues is tested the fuel pump wired directly to a fused power source (i made a Fuel pump test wiring harness that I use as a reoccurring tool now) see it if runs. If that's good I check the relay plug socket for power with a volt meter to verify if the issue is pre/post relay. after that I start digging through the PITA stuff under the carpet, into the engine bay, etc. It really depends how much commitment you want to spend chasing electrical issues. I grew up with jeeps and VW's so sorting through wiring harnesses is just a norm for me :D

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Using a voltmeter confirm that there is power right at the pump. If there isn't, you could simply rewire the pump instead of trying to chase down the problem. That may be easier. Also, do you have an aftermarket alarm that may be causing the issue? Or could you tell if someone had previously hot wired the fuel pump? If so, then perhaps the other relay might have gone bad. You would just need to find where it was hidden by chasing the wires from the tank..

Agree. I would also check the Fuse and ECU side as well.

You can always crack the banjo bolt on the fuel filter to see if it's spraying fuel. If so then you know it's priming and the issue is after the fuel filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
phatintegra
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing