Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several times when cleaning my interior or installing electronic mods I have noticed my fuel pump will make a whirring sound. It does it about every 5 minutes. My keys are in my pocket or in the ignition(off) so I dont know why it's getting power. Is this a normal thing or does it run when not needed? I assume it's doing this to keep pressure for when I start my car... so I may have a leak in a line or seal. Or is it just freaking out?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Are you sure it's a whirring of the pump, or is it just more of a whining noise? Kinda like air being let out of a balloon?

If it's the latter, that's perfectly normal. I'm not 100% what it is, but it was suggested in a prior thread that it's related to pressure relief of the fuel system.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does the dash light up too said:
No lights come on. It's just the pump.

Quote: drcheap on Oct/03/07 Are you sure it's a whirring of the pump, or is it just more of a whining noise? Kinda like air being let out of a balloon?

If it's the latter, that's perfectly normal. I'm not 100% what it is, but it was suggested in a prior thread that it's related to pressure relief of the fuel system.
No, I'm not sure. It's the same noise/sound I hear when I turn the key to the II position and the fuel pump primes... that's why I assumed it was the fuel pump. But as for the balloon noise, it's not high pitched nor a squeak like a balloon and it doesn't necessarily sound like pressure being relieved because it's pretty much a steady whir and not a gradual drop until it's gone. I didn't want to rule out pressure relief just because it doesn't sound like it.

I hope it is relief of the fuel pressure, I'm going to install a fuel cut off switch when I attempt sound deadening. If it's the pump that should make it go away right? Or could this be related to another more subtle malfunction I haven't noticed yet?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
has it always done this or has it just started after you installed your electronic mods? the fuel pump is supposed to get no power when the car is off, the wire is the same color as the power antenna, could you have possibly mixed up the wires? and yes, if you install a fuel cut switch that should put and end to it, but i would still try and source the problem. look here and you will find the path of the power wire so maybe you can find out whats goin on. good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
98_gsr on Oct/03/07 said:
has it always done this or has it just started after you installed your electronic mods? the fuel pump is supposed to get no power when the car is off, the wire is the same color as the power antenna, could you have possibly mixed up the wires? and yes, if you install a fuel cut switch that should put and end to it, but i would still try and source the problem. look here and you will find the path of the power wire so maybe you can find out whats goin on. good luck.
The car has always done this since I got it. I am the 3rd owner of this vehicle. It had an aftermarket deck but that's it. I did all switches and installs myself, I only had to replace one radio fuse
because I touched the screw driver to the amp when tightening down the power wire. Stupid I know... but everything turned out fine.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My 2000 gs-r does the same thing, has done it since the
day i bought it 2 years ago.

After shutting it off after about 5 minutes there is a
whinning noise for a few seconds and it repeats about every 5 minutes.

I notice it all the time when i am washing my car.

·
Registered
618 Posts
hmmm

my 07 mazda3 does this, only it doesn't do it every 5 min, just after shutting my car off... (not everytime either)

probably a completely diff. problem though

next time you hear the fuel pump go on (and when it's not suppose to go on, of course), quickly turn the key to II position and turn it off right away...

see if it stops priming....

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I dont know about cars, but on my bike there is a vent in the keyhole on the gas tank to purge excess pressure in the fuel system. When I leave my bike parked in the sun, or after running it, i get a whistling noise. Just fuel pressure releasing, but it has to come out of a tiny hole on newer bikes because of federal regulations stating how much fuel vapor can be released into the atmosphere per certain unit of time.

Anyway, I'd assume it's a similar dilemma, but again, I'm not sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.