Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, im planning on a custom turbo, but im not very familiar with the fm side of it. i understand i need some type of fmu and an inline fuel pump. what else is needed? ive read that new injectors arent necessary, but ill probably get some. could anyone give me recemondations on what fuel pump and fmu to get?
Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well most turbo kits come with a Vortec FMU so that would be a good one to get. I am using it and it works fine. As I understand it though if you were to invest in a AEM EMS or Hondata then you would not need a FMU but those 2 are big $$.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Fuel Pump : MSD inline pump
Injectors : RC 310's/440's You need to know your fuel needs on this one for the correct size !

And NO you do not need to upgrade your injectors right off the bat. You can later if your dyno runs tell you so...which unless your producing more power than a stock internal t-3/t-4 turboed type setup it's higly unlikely you will need bigger injectors. once again your Air/Fuel needs will determine this.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
V-AFC,(or S-AFC if non-vtec) or HKS AFR. All good choices. Definately a need if your kit doesn't come with a Vortech FMU plate or MF2 for an AIC. Greddy e-manage is a good buy if you can't afford the AEM or Hondata.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Guys i have a vortech fmu (12:1) AND a VAFC-- with 310cc injectors this barely makes the cut at 8lbs boost.
The vafc is no good at tuning boost because 1 it was not made for that and two it is only rpm specific so you can set it vacuum but then the boost setting is off, so then you set your rpm fuel levels to boost -- but then your vacuum fuel is off----
PMS (programmed management system) is the way to go Hondata is Great if they make a system for your car and you can afford it i know a guy in atlanta that can get them for 650 + 650 for tuning. The AEM is more but it comes semi preprogrammed----
I like my vafc though because i can see the pretty color.

Boostcontrol -- with all due respect-- there is no way i can see that a stock 255 cc injector can deliver the amt of fuel needed.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well no dis-respect taken...But it has and will work ! Your stock injectors can handle enough fuel delivery up to 13psi...believe it yes...But I am no expert in the FUEL department ! I am simply passing along info from a very knowledgeable source Super Tuner Mr.Bob Norwood !
I have always said its a good idea to up-grade to at least 310's BUT fact is FACT ...this is NOT needed to have your A/F perfect !

I tuned my car on a FMU 12:1, stock injectors running 8psi with a V-AFC and my air/fuel was PERFECT ! Thanks to Bob ! So I know this can be done and the long term affects are proven as well. But we need a expert here on FUEL that's for sure...Bob is my guy on the street but...uhhh I am NOT his priority...That would be Mr. Kenny Tran that gets all his attention deservingly so !

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
the vafc's and s-afc's or whatever are useless in boosted applications, this has been covered in detail in other threads, but it's basially the fact that modifying the vacuum signal under boost just screws things up and is highly inaccurate.

inline pumps aren't needed either, just get a good in-take pump, like the walbro 242

vortec's s-fmu and cartech's 2025 are good choices because they're highly adjustable.

the stock injectors are 240 cc/min

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't think anyone here who knows will disagree with you DaBoyNBlu...But it can and DOES WORK using a V-AFC/SAFC ! It's not the ULTIMATE tuning tool for fuel NO...We all know that... and we know the facts about the units ! But let's not debate that ...They are NOT useless ! If they were, why then is mine, and hundreds of other customers A/F perfect ??

Hands down the best FMS or EMS you can buy is MoTeC !
If ya want to measure "Data Collecting Points" which means the more info/sensors etc. the unit can read/process the better you can tune the car ! MoTeC beats them all in this ability.
But we all don’t have 4 grand to spend ! Even AEM or Hondata is a stretch for a lot of us.

MoTeC

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with both u guyz...the AFC works...but only up to a certain point. I was only able to get up to 10psi boost tuning fuel w/ that thing, then it drew the check light on. Yeh, it's possible also to run stock inj at 7psi(duty cycle will be close to max) but it would be more safe to run 310's if you race alot. I cracked my ringlands after my 4th drag event with that setup. I got 310's from Jotech after talkin w/ Kenny Tran.

After reaching the limits of a turboteg w/ stock ecu, I stopped tuning and waited for the technology to catch up. It finally did...AEM EMS
...290hp @ 12psi, perfect AFR...and we juss gettin started
...I'll post the dyno when we get more impressive results, cuz we got 285 on the stock ecu last yr...

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
the only reason you guys are maxing out your duty cycles is because you ARE using that afc thing. upping the pressures does the same thing, but keeps duty cycles within normal limits, and a bunch of people agree, even though it's theoritically bad to run pressures up, nobody has ever blown up an engine that way.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I'm not a fan of +110lb fuel pressure at WOT. This just complicates matters and shortens the life of the stock fuel injectors. I look at it this way, the stock fuel line is rated at "65lb MAX pressure." Now I haven't herd of someone having a ruptured fuel line, but going almost double the pressure of a rated object sounds like asking trouble. Engineerers don't mark tolerances to waste ink.

I would rather spend a few more bucks and do it right the first time, but that's just me.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well I sure can attest to BLOWING a fuel line that's for sure ! Now I did not rupture the line...it just popped off but still...
Yeah make sure you tigten stuff down when ya crank the boost up ! DOH !

I am with you Gvtec...Better safe than sorry...I have learned my lesson more than a few times...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts