Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been battling this noise for quite some time now. Whenever my car idles in the morning when it's cold, it sounds almost like a diesel engine. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the actual motor itself though, it sounds more like it's coming from behind it, where the intake manifold/fuel injectors are. I know that Honda/Acura fuel injectors are ticky by nature, but could they get loud enough to actually make a knock noise? Also, whenever I accelerate the frequency gets progressively higher. I was thinking maybe an intake manifold gasket leak but my oil analysis comes back showing low silicon (no intake leaks). The fuel dilution in the reports is also always very low, and the oil comes back with a high flashpoint which tells me my injectors aren't leaking. Anyone have any ideas? The car's always been driven reasonably. The previous owner was an elderly lady who always babied it, and I never drive it hard either. I use fuel injector cleaner on every fillup, perhaps that could be causing some pinging? I've taken it to Acura about this noise problem and they said they couldn't hear what I hear, but it's clearly there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i have never heard of injectors being as noisy as your describing... plus they wont knock either

·
Registered
117 Posts
if u do a search you can find another thread on this. The other thread said something along the lines that it could be because of the seals on the injectors. Same thing is happening to me but I haven't done anything yet.

·
Registered
597 Posts
2000greenteg on Oct/02/07 said:
if u do a search you can find another thread on this. The other thread said something along the lines that it could be because of the seals on the injectors. Same thing is happening to me but I haven't done anything yet.
... me neither.... maybe we should do something about that.... at least we know what it is eh?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're all original. I just filled up the car today on 87 octane again and didn't add any fuel power additive this time. I'll monitor things over the next few tanks and see how it goes. I know it's not hurting anything because my oil analysis results always come back stellar with low wear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had that same problem turned out i didnt tighten the intake manifold enough ... it was just tight enough to seal it but not tight enough to complete secure the seal of noise ...** dont over tighten the bolts**

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Sing along! *The injectors in the car go clickety clickety clickety, clickety clickety clickety, clickety clickety clickety. The injectors in the car go clickety clickety clickety, all through the town.*

It shouldn't be a knocking noise though. I can't think of anything other than you probably just started selectively hearing the injectors do their job...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LsTurbo401 on Oct/02/07 said:
i had that same problem turned out i didnt tighten the intake manifold enough ... it was just tight enough to seal it but not tight enough to complete secure the seal of noise ...** dont over tighten the bolts**
Thanks for letting me know, I'll give that a check when I get a chance. I'm not familiar with taking on/off the intake manifold however, do you happen to know what I should be looking for?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Just grab a service manual, check the torque ratings on the bolts that bolt the IM to the head, then check them with a torque wrench to make sure they are torqued down properly.

But if you've never taken your intake manifold off, I'd assume this is not your problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
HeroOfTheDay on Oct/02/07 said:
Sing along! *The injectors in the car go clickety clickety clickety, clickety clickety clickety, clickety clickety clickety. The injectors in the car go clickety clickety clickety, all through the town.*
LOL I actually sang it rhythm

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay an update.. I listened to the car more thoroughly tonight after driving home from class and it really seems to be coming from the injectors, more specifically the closest injector to the battery. I looked in the Helm's manual but I didn't see any good guide as to how to remove the fuel injectors. Does anyone happen to know how I could check if one was loose?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I made a video of the ticking/tapping noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfXTabtKSJI

Just ignore me talking, I made the video for a friend so what I'm saying is common knowledge or not relevant

Oh, and the microphone on my camera seems to amplify the sound to be a lot louder than what it really is, but I guess that helps in this situation. It isn't quite as loud as the video would make it seem.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the camera's microphone made it a little louder than what it really is. I thought it was the valves but I had them adjusted not too long ago (about 9k miles ago). That's the only other thing I can think of.. maybe the Acura dealership messed it up somehow.. Hoping it's just the injectors though, as I know they can get loud as they get older.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
first off you do not need fuel injector cleaner. you dont want a bunch of additives in your fuel lines and their a waste of money. i used it once, prolly never will use it again as i didnt see any difference.

anyone else think it may be a piston knock? does your car burn any oil?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.