Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1987 Integra w/ 175k was leaking for a while - it turned out to be from the rubber seals. So went to Acura and spent $70 buying 4 sets of O, Seal and Cushion rings. Seal rings were expensive like $12.

It then started leaking internally - plastic metal interface - now the leak is bad than what it used to be (how come it appeared when the seal leak is fixed?).

I ended up in buying a replacement Fuel Injectors from a dismantler who also has a machine shop - spent less than what I spent with Acura - came with 10yr warranty. The seal ring (it sits inside the manifold) is shorter compared to the one I bought at the dealer. I didn't want to spend another $50 on the seal rings. Just used the shorter ring that the part came with - dismantler told me they changed them all including the filter.

I realize you are not supposed to use the O-ring. How about the seal rings?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Lets start from the beginning. Injector has a small o-ring where it connects to the fuel rail. It also has a rubber seal where it connects to intake manifold. This rubber seal seats on top of a metal washer that supports it. If there is a leak at fuel rail, you need to replace the small o-ring. If there is a leak at intake manifold you must replace the rubber seal. If the injector is damaged, you need to replace the injector. Also, if rubber seal
thickness is not OEM, you may need to use custom spacers between fuel rail and intake manifold to compensate for the difference . When you say injector is leaking internally, I suspect you refer to the injector flooding the combustion chamber? If so, switch it with injector from other cylinder just to confirm that it's the injector and not something else that causes it, and once confirmed - replace it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "rubber seal's" height is marginally shorter.

I am puzzled when the gasket leak is fixed, injector itself started leaking - pretty badly though!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize you are not supposed to use the O-ring. How about the seal rings - can u reuse them?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Rubber seals are reusable, if not damaged. Make sure to inspect each seal for rips and cracks prior to installation.
@Built_not_bought - thanks

The seal ring that the remanuf FI came with is slightly shorter in height than the Acura spec. We ended up in using the slightly shorter one - so far ok. But what is your thought on it? These seal rings are expensive from Acura like $12 upwards ($21 on Amazon), Thanks

You can see it on this video - its gen 3 but the Seal ring height is talked about it here at 8:52 mins into the video:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Looks like the chick is installing aftermarket injectors. Aftermarket injectors come with aftermarket rubber seals. The box she holds says RC Injectors, although these don't look like RC Injectors to me. Pretending they are, for proper installation it is advised to remove fuel rail spacers to ensure adequate seal formation between injectors and the rubber seal. It's important to note that without fuel rail spacers there is nothing stopping fuel rail from moving to far in. Installer must take care not to force the fuel rail too far in - damaging rubber seal as a result. Custom spacers (washers) may be installed to allow fuel rail nuts to be properly torqued. Without custom spacers, one must apply thread lock or fuel rail nuts will eventually come out. Although RC injectors may look like they need to go in further, they actually don't. Unlike OEM injectors, RC injectors seat on top of the rubber seal, not go through it. RC rubber seals will begin to "deflate" from RC injectors pressing against them. That is an indicator that fuel rail bolts are tight.

Back to the subject. If rubber seals are marginally thinner, you need to confirm that injector is not moving following fuel rail installation. Otherwise, you may be running a risk of catching a fire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
Built_not_bought
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing