Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm fairly new to FI applications, but I'm charging ahead anyway, and plotting out ways to build myself a low-level turbo system. I find I learn much better this way, and besides, I have help (my local club has some knowledgeable guys in it).

However, I have come across a bit of a problem. Primarily, I want to know what I should do about fuel tuning. My setup will be based around a rebuilt T3 (.42 A/R intake, .48 A/R exhaust)and internal wastegate at about 7 psi, and a smallish intercooler. All this will be on a stock 1997 B18B1.

I want to know what I should use to get enough fuel. Will I need a new pump, new injectors, FMU, piggyback, what? It seems like there are a HUGE number of possible combinations, and I'm a little lost.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I'm no expert in the FI field either..however, I have a similar setup to what you are describing.

Most of the parts I am going to use are from a Drag kit...but, I changed to a straight T3 turbo.

I have decided to give the good ol' AFC hack a shot. I know it's far from foolproof, but it seems to have given many people plenty of help. Since I cannot afford a stand alone system right now and then tune time on top of that, it seems to be the right choice.
This is what I am going to use:

255lph in-tank fuel pump
B&M FPR, 450cc injectors, Apex-i SAFC.
I'm not gonna boost more than 9 psi.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
depending on the moeny you want to spend there are sever ways
cheapest: just FMU
a little better:afc
better: afc/injectors
getting there: e manage and injectors
damn good: hondata with boost
no better: power FC, AEM EMS, FAST

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
At 7psi your stock injectors will be maxed out, so yes you will need new injectors. I'd recommend at least 310cc injectors. Your stock fuel pump should be able to deliver enough fuel at 7psi, but if you decide to increase your boost in the future, an aftermarket fuel pump may be needed. Last but not least, your tuning device. I'd recommend that you take those suggestions StyleTegGSR posted above and punch them in the search box (also check common topics/articles). There are a lot of tuning devices out there so you'll need to pick the one that best suits your goals.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the e-manage solution, and I think I would probably go with the DSM 450cc blue top injectors (I'm aware that it's not a straight swap). Does the emanage come with boost control?
I'm not overly concerned about boost control, as I don't really intend to change it too much. Probably just use the wastegate spring for that.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
No need to change that spring on a T3 it's a 7 lbs spring to begin with. Getting the Boost controller should be the last thing you should be worring about simply because you now must find a maniold that will BOTH fit a T3 flange, AND have the hole closed for an internally gated turbo. You'll more than likely have to find a used one that hasn't cracked, and seal over the wastegate hole.

Remember how I said: When you think you're saving money, you're actually not in the long run? This is starting to get like that...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't the various T3's come with different springs, depending on where you get it from, and what the trim is?

And, yeah, I know I need that kind of manifold, but there are a few out there. I've also seen gasketed seals for the Tial-type waste gate flanges on EBay, any idea if those work without leaking, or would I have to weld it down? If it turns out I can use the external wastegate, is there a way to remove the internal one, and still use a T3?

And as far as boost goes, if I don't want to change the psi (planning on just leaving it at 7), and my fuel is well managed, I don't need a boost control, right?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
correct. The best thing to do is FIRST find out if you can use the external or stay internal... Don't create more work for yourself if you can help it by trying to switch back and forth. Find out for sure..... Take it one step at a time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts