Team Integra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I am by no means a bodywork expert. I don't think caking bondo on a rusty panel is a permanent fix. Fixing rust usually requires sanding or grinding down to bare silver/grey metal and then re painting.
Of course it's not! It was intended to be a temp fix.

So now that winters over, I decided to attack this rust. My goal is to just make it look decent. I'll get around to fixing it for real. I cant drop a G on body work right now.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Bondo is pretty temporary any way you look at it...but to do it right you do have to grind away all the rust or its just gonna push the bondo away from the surface, sooner than later:)
Damn rust lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Bondo is pretty temporary any way you look at it...but to do it right you do have to grind away all the rust or its just gonna push the bondo away from the surface, sooner than later:)
Damn rust lol
Good news! My friends dad does body work. He's going to help me re do it for a more serious fix. We're getting fiberglass :cool:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Updates!
A week after I finished my little Bondo adventure, a friend of mine's dad told me he did body work, and would help me fix the rust the real way.
I drive over, and see his garage. Inside....

Mugen shiftknob

Advan wheels

He told me the car has about 10k into it. He was putting on some fiberglass flares on. Also had greddy exhaust, some super expensive cai, megan coilovers..list goes on. Thing looks mean.

Anyways...onto my car.
First, we removed anything that would get in the way of grinding.

Then we grinded.

Surface rust we converted, then primered.

How she sits now.

Tomorrow we will be molding some fiberglass, (rebuilding the lip on the wheel wells, filling holes) then using body filler to make a nice smooth surface to primer some more and paint on. :biggrin:
It's a lot of work, especially since I already did this all the DIY way, (and got decent results) but I can't say I didn't learn a lot. And I'm learning a ton in this process too. Super blessed that this is all being done for free with the help from someone who's been doing it for years.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ok- so today we didn't get as much done as we wanted. We didn't put enough hardener in the fiberglass resin, and we have to wait for that to harden before we can continue to paint etc.
So here's what we did today.

Got some cardboard. Oh yeah. Serious stuff.

Got some fiberglass.

Got an S2K. JK. It's my friends. He is widening the body :cool:

Used the cardboard to mock up a shape for the body that we removed. Then inserted fiber glass and resin. Like I said, we didnt use enough hardener. So it's drying right now. Once its completely hardened, I'm going to start with the body filler then sand.

Till next time! :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love the build bro! I think you've inspired me to do a thread on my first car build as well, its not too new but I gotta start taking pictures of my progress.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Love the build bro! I think you've inspired me to do a thread on my first car build as well, its not too new but I gotta start taking pictures of my progress.
Thanks man! Yes, totally do it :cool:
I'll keep an eye out for your thread!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hey guys. Change of gears a lil bit, you know how it is...doing 1000 things at a time..

Picked up these from TI user "wrecked"
Cool guy and his Teg is dope.

They have Eibach pro kits which I'm not sure if they are good or not) on them but I'll be using these Tokicos with my GC Coils.

Next, I cleaned and re-oiled the filter off my CAI I got from user 'riceburnerrebel'
Set up, just have to find some hose clamps. I also have a little situation regarding
the breather hose vs. the little filter that's on there. I'll be posting a separate thread about this.

Also polished the exhaust I got from him too!

Now to the body work...started laying down some filler and sanded a bunch. Hopefully paint will go on this Sunday!!!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but thank God you ended up redoing the body work the right way. You'll be much happier with the results in the long run and you won't have flaking bond/rust showing through your paint in a year. Are you shaving the moldings on the driver's side or was there just some rust there?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Don't take this the wrong way but thank God you ended up redoing the body work the right way. You'll be much happier with the results in the long run and you won't have flaking bond/rust showing through your paint in a year. Are you shaving the moldings on the driver's side or was there just some rust there?
I agree! I had intentions to fix it correctly. I just needed a quick fix to temporarily get rid of that eye sore, although this project is taking MUCH longer and my car has been several different colors for almost a month now!
About the side..
I actually got backed into at school there ):
So we decided since while we're fixing the rust, might as well fix the dent too. It was almost impossible to pop out because the support beam on the inside.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Several updates!
Picked up some BG33P Paint and clear coat.

I also got around to installing my AEM CAI which I got for free. Gave the car an awesome throaty-ness and my butt dyno tells me I gained some mid range hp which is definitely valuable on our low torque motors.

Stock

OEM Intake removed

AEM Installed-
Quick note...I realized halfway into the install that the intake is a GSR. But I think I made it work :rolleyes:

Also got around to bolting on a free axle back (N1 style) that I got. I'm not a fan of these, but I just wanted to try it out. Ended up being SUPER loud, and as I was driving on a county road, I was going down hill, wasn't watching my speed and was pulled over at 10mph over the limit. (50 in a 40) I got my first ticket.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
The cop also was not a fan of my gutted interior..lol. Anyways, he gave me a careless driving ticket. Regardless, it was still 2 points on my license and $85 taken from me. Suuuuchhhhhhh a bummer. Pretty discouraging as far as working on my car.
The exhaust lasted approximately 15 hours on my car before I got a ticket. Lol.

Next, I wanted to attack my engine bay and clean it up. I started with my ugly valve color. Paint flaking off everywhere.

Off with the valve cover!

Progress..

I'll be resuming later. Tough stuff getting that paint off..

Next little project...get these Eibach Pro Kit springs off my Tokicko Illuminas.
**IF ANYONE WANTS THE EIBACH PRO KITS OR THE NO NAME AXLE BACK EXHAUST, PM ME.**

To be resumed..

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sucks to hear about the ticket. Good updates though..mostly lol. I need to redo my VC, I am not happy with how I messed up in the last recoat.

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I messed up on the lettering. Because I hadn't wrinkled it yet in the oven, I decided that I wanted another coat and put too much on. You can see in the drying pic that it turned out great but after the final coat and heating/bake on the car its messed up.

Easy fix, just can't be bothered with caring about it right now.

Scroll down after the pulley crap

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/20-your-integra/271130-voodoos-01-gsr-update-washed-clayed-waxed-new-ceramic-header-way-6.html
Thanks man. Getting together some supplies to help me get off that paint. And the paint itself, I'm thinking red.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Got some more updates. Today I sanded a TON. We finally primered everything. I'll be wet sanding early tomorrow morning. If I get that all done properly, I'll be putting on some thinner filler for pin holes and such. Then I'll be ready to paint!!

Primered! (Other side is done too, total of 5 spots)

SUPRISE. After months of picking and choosing, searching and collecting, I've finally peiced my suspension together. I'm super stoked to put this on the car. OTS GC Coilovers on Tokico Illuminas. I did a lot of research and concluded I wanted GC Coils on Koni Yellows or on the Illuminas. I was lucky enough to find these from another forum user. I've heard good things about these paired up. Anyone ride this set up? How is it?? These are 5 way adjustable which is super nice. Looking forward to installing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Hey guys- Kind of crazy news. I got a music internship in Florida and I'll be leaving in a couple of days ): Integra is on COMPLETE hold. If any of you Florida people see a BG33P Integra with primer quarters (LOL) in South FL, thats me. Until next time!
(I'll be back late July)

41 - 60 of 146 Posts