Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've found a quick hit with an impact gun can help with removing those nuts on the top hats. If you have easy access to one it's worth a shot.
Problem is I dont have easy access to one. I'm going to see if my mech will gimme a hand. He's a nice guy- I'm going to call him up Tuesday.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
A little change of gears...
I decided today was nice enough out to tackle my rust. I got 2/4 areas done today, and I'm quite satisfied. My goal was nothing more than to get it to look decent.

I started with this spot. I did the other side as well, which look almost exactly the same (shape, size) except the hole was a bit smaller.

I removed the interior rear panel so I could stick my mesh on from the inside.

This stuff was suprisingly hard to control...I ended up just using my fingers to get it to the shape I wanted.

After I got a good amount on there, I started sanding..I should have taped the bottom plastic. I ended up accidentally scratching it, and I had to use some sharpie to cover it up. The sharpie ended up being really bright and obvious which was annoying. You'll see in the next pics.

After about 5 layers of paint and a couple of clear coat, this was the result! (this pic is after about 3 layers of paint)I definitely could have sanded more. But that would'nt have gotten rid of the spots.. I know this because I applied the filler, sanded, re aplied filler, sanded, and they would appear in different areas. I researched a bit and saw that bondo also sells spot filler or something. I saw people had really good success with that. If I could do it again, I probably would have gotten in. Overall, I'm very happy how this side came out. Its very hard to notice when you're standing. It's really at like ~3 ft you can tell.

The other side was much easier. The hole wasnt as big. I think I got a little lucky as far as spots go too, there werent very many. Still I had to sand a lot just to make it all even and smooth. Keep in mind I sanded each side for about 30 minutes. Unfortunately this I finished this side and tried to take a picture but it was too dark. I'd say it came out about 20% better.

Can't forget the room shot..it's becoming a problem..

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
In regards to the Allen screw stripping try what "myb18A1" said . A pair of channel locks or vice grips will get that off in 2 seconds ! If all else fails and u have access to a welder, use a old useless Allen wrench that fits the stripped screw and spot weld the Allen wrench to the screw. Good luck!

·
Registered
983 Posts
I think that other stuff is called spot glaze
I used it on my last integra
Red stuff, takes forever to dry
Anyway not bad for ur first time and yeah all the necessary sanding is ridiculous lol(mine looked the same my first time) good job though

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Was it worth getting it? And thanks! I'm def happy it didnt come out horrible. Came out pretty decent imo and honestly anything is better than rust so I didnt have much to loose.
I think that other stuff is called spot glaze
I used it on my last integra
Red stuff, takes forever to dry
Anyway not bad for ur first time and yeah all the necessary sanding is ridiculous lol(mine looked the same my first time) good job though

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Back to the coilover/strut removal issue..
I ended up giving up and bring the coils to a mechanic.

Off we go! In a K sport box in my 'trunk' lol. My rear half interior is gutted from my rust fix and radio antenna removal. Also had to do some cleaning.

So I went to Fairview Auto in Westwood, NJ. These are the NICEST mechanics I've ever met in my life. Seriously, they shatter every stereotype often attached to mechanics. They fixed my bent LCA for a 3rd of the price of other places and called B.S when another mechanic told me I bent my frame..

A couple of hours later, I got a call to pick them up.
Walah!

Total expenses= $0.00

I really appreciated the fact that they took time out of their day and did this for me for free. Keep in mind, I'mm not buddies with these guys- I had only been there once before several months ago. After I thanked the guys, one of them started talking to me about his wife's integra, and how they had swapped a Type R motor into it. My face ---> :eek:
So yeah, finally got these things apart, ready to order some shocks. Thinking Skunk2. Any recommendations? Sorry, don't have the funds for $550 konis. Although I know the 'ultimate set up' is the GC Coils + the Koni Yellows. Anyways, if any of you guys are in Bergen County NJ, def recommend these guys.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
A couple of updates. This weekend, another member on here, "RiceBurnerRebel" hit me up with some free parts to make room in his shop. Thanks again! What a nice guy.
Here they are:

No name exhaust (Depending on how loud, I may not be using it. Might give it to a friend)

AEM CAI

He was driving a SICK boosted blue Teg.

Anyways, I ordered a plug from Honda since I removed my antenna. Took forever to get here!

Andddddddddd this...

Wrong part. :frown:
If anyone wants it, I'll be selling it for $10 shipped (5 less than what I payed)

So I ordered from ebay. How frustrating.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Big updates!

So my goal was to buy some LS Webs with good tires, and buy my Skunk2 Sport Shocks. I have GC Coils already.

I drove about an hour and a half to pick these up really early in the morning before class. The ad said about 25% tread. Psh. When I got there, the first tire I saw was at most 15%. I assumed the rest were the same, so I quickly loaded the car with the wheels, gave him 300 cash and drove home to just make it to class on time. Little did I know that 2 tires were almost bald :/
Despite this, the wheels look GREAT. Gunmetal Ls webs. I payed a little much for them though :/ It's frustrating. I made a stupid mistake not to take my time and thoroughly inspect. But I learned.

Here's how she sits now.

Can you say 4x4?
Because of the whole tire situation, I had to order new tires. I consider Yokohoma S Drives, BF Goodrich G-Force Comp2's, and Dunlop Direzza DZ101's and 102's.

The Yokohomas were a tiny bit above my budget, and I did not feel I would need such high performance from a tire. (I don't auto x)

The Dunlops got tons of mixed reviews, some good, some okay, some awful. I also heard they are terrible in rain. I had a bad incident in rain, so that really turned me off. (Still scarred :frown: ) So I went with the BFG's, and I'll be reviewing them as soon as I get to drive on them.

This, though, means that I spent my shock money on tires. Hopefully I'll be able to purchase the shocks by the summer.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Another big update!

While I removed, patched and painted the lower parts of the wheel well rust, I had left the largest piece of rust for last. This was located at the top of the rear wheel wells, just like every other Honda. I figured I would leave the largest and most visible for last because by then, I would have hopefully gotten the gist of how to make it look decent.

Here's the original rust. :thumbs_down:
(The top portion)

After a ton of bondo, I prepped it for sand. I got carried away with the tape. :biggrin:

Here's my helper Jillie!

After about 45 minutes of sanding...

5-6 layers of paint, 2 layers of clearcoat

Overall, I'm really happy with the way it came out!! :biggrin:
Of course, it could always be better. But I'm improving.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Good job on the body work man. Much better than what I could hope to do.
Thanks so much! Really appreciate it. I find that just like anything, you get better and better with practice. I have SO much improving to do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's looking good so far. You could have put a little more time in on the bodywork and made it smoother but whatevs. Keep it going!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It's looking good so far. You could have put a little more time in on the bodywork and made it smoother but whatevs. Keep it going!
You're totally right. Thing is, before paint, the shape looks a lot better. Ironically it seems like the paint points out imperfections. Tricky stuff.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Tires mounted and balanced!
I will do a more in depth review later- but these tires are incredible. They are SO grippy! Very comfortable too.

Here they are:

I also got my antenna plug!

Now, time to save for Skunk2 Sport Shocks so I can lower the car.

21 - 40 of 146 Posts