Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the whole 5spd thing,iv'e been doing it a few weeks now and it seemed like I was driving around fine,but lately ive been noticing a burning smell coming from my car after I shift at some points. Ill shift from 1st at about 4-4.5 rpm and then about the same into third. Today when I was in first my clutch was slipping and wouldnt grab or go past 10 and I was stuck in first, so I didnt know what was going on so I put it in second the car skipped for a second then made quite the loud rev noise and went into gear and then came the familiar smell. I went at a garage today to drop off my friends car to get it inspected and I asked one of the mechanics there why that was happening he told me that I was probably riding the clutch too much. And it's true I do notice my foot kind of loosly sitting on the clutch. Am I frying it? Iv'e only smelled the smell a few times how bad is this for the car in general and how fast will the clutch go? Now I ride the clutch because I dont want to stall out so I let off reaaaly slow in all gears he told me to just shift and just take my foot right off the clutch wouldnt that stall me out or be bad for the car?
Anyone got techniques for not riding the clutch and so I dont stall out? Someone please help me out im scared im hurting my baby.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
get some balls. hehe j/kiddin. all im sayin is you know what to do, and have the general idea of how to do it. now all you gotta do is, do it. ridding the clutch will definately fry it, that horrible smell is your clutch losing thousands of miles by the way. so to fix this problem, stay on the clutch for the least amount of time as possbile. you will get a feeling for this as time goes on. so now all you gotta do is do it and not worry about stalling out. so what if you stall out, who cares? its the only way you are going to learn and save your clutch. trust me man, in a couple of weeks you wont even believe that you asked this question, driving a stick will be second nature to you.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply dude. Hopefully I will get it soon..I mean I thought I was doing fine until I kept getting that damn smell,which was horrible, I hope I didn't cause too much damage. How fast can you shift gears after 1st I know first you kind of have to clutch it to get the car moving but after that how fast can you just take your foot off I mean I see these crazy ass drift drivers do it soo fast its insane but I mean will that hurt the car to let the clutch back down so fast will I stall out past first if I do it too fast?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
on first like i said you sorta just got to play around with it and then you will get a feel for it. after that, depending on your speed, you can get on and off it as fast as you can do it. it is better for the clutch to be engaged and disengaged as fast as possible. try doing a 3-4th shift around 4-5k to get a feel for shifting fast.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Learning a stick really is like riding a bike, you cant think about it since its all feel and instinct, and once you get it you've got it. So just like riding a bike the only way to learn is to do it until you get it, and sometimes that usually means, stalling, jerking the car around, burning the clutch, bogging the motor, and other such things. You'll pick it up pretty quick though, dont worry. But one thing alot of learners do when their trying to drive their car fast and really shouldnt since they dont have the feel for it yet is they burn the clutch when they shift. In other words they stick it in gear, and start letting out the clutch, and step on it before its fully engaged, so they rev the engine way up while its slipping, and then drop it the rest of the way resulting in a big jolt (a girl I know did this ALL the time, not to mention she didnt get the whole concept of shifting and how it relates to gas mileage, so she would almost redline on every gear, even when she was just driving slowly, or cruising around, it was really ridiculous.) If I were you I would be gentle, and take it slow until you've got the feel of it.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright So I went shift practicing at like 5 am and I have a quick question when I shift out of first I do it slow otherwise itll stall so im gonna keep doing that for first hopefully it wont hurt my clutch but my question is I started shifting fast in the higher gears no frying clutch smell cause I take my feet off but the shifting dosent feel as smooth you can almost feel the tranny go into the gears if I do it fast, is that normal or am I feeling something bad? I mean it is smooth but its like a more sudden shift instead of taking my foot off the clutch slow, if its normal I think I pretty much got it.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hehehe, not exactly, I dunno my clutch never made a grinding sound or anything like that but it just smelled burnt I mean everything shifted properly and smoothly I think I was just keeping my foot hovering on it causing it to grind.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
sounds like your doing everything right. its sorta hard to tell just by talkin on the internet ya know. this is a subject that is better to see to talk about than type. lol

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
before you go trying shifting too hard like some of these guys have said, just get the clutch looked at. a good mechanic can do it quickly, for less than an hour of labor usually, and tell you if it's the throwout bearing, disc, or any combination of clutch components. then if you're really scrimping for cash, buy just that and replace it, but be ready to replace the whole thing in a little while.

you most likely caused premature wear on your clutch by loosely sitting your foot on it while driving. it doesn't take much pressure to get a clutch to a tiny friction breaking point--enough slip to wear, but not enough to feel in the car.

running through the motions, most of the stick drivers i know probably slip for around a second or two to get into first, and that's fine. just get your foot off the pedal when you're not changing gears

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I hate to point out the obvious, but also make sure your e-brake is released.

on an auto it may not be used nearly as much so some people who are new to manual may not be as conscious of it.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah iv'e done the ebrake thing a while back like twice and I was like hmm why the hell isint my car going past 10 mph then I realized I had forgotten to take it off I was like ahhh sh*t. Thanks for everyones Replys I really do appreciate them. It's good just to hear reassuring words. one last quick question I have is the reverse gear when I reverse my car out I keep the foot on half clutch half gas otherwise the car will act all funny like if ill go in reverse with just the pedal and I ease up to go slower itll start doing the kangaroo jumpy jump just not as violent. My question is do you guys do what I do with reverse or is that really bad or do you put the clutch in then use the reverse pedal. I do know its kind of hard to visualize what im talking about but hopefully someone will get the jist of it. I just figured id ask before I got myself into some costly repairs.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
well with reverse i do just about the same thing as you for the most part. if i am only going a very short distance i usually just give it some gas and let the clutch out enough to start the movement and then i put the clutch in right away and just let the momentum carry it the rest of the way. i dont like slippin it for a long period.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts