Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok before saying anything, i know that the stock speakers are junk so dont be bashing me for talking about them in the first place but this is a place for learning so....
I have a '93 GS,
anyway i wanted to know why the front speakers have a conical shaped piece in the middle whereas the rears dont....they are probably the same in performance and all but if u HAD to pick between them...which should sound better in theory? the conical piece must be there for a reason i guess...and its all paper by the way

·
Registered
10 Posts
That piece is called a "Whizzer Cone" It is supposed to help the high frequency response of the front speakers. I suppose it was thought the rear speakers didn't need that. In my '94 LS this cone was replaced with separate tweeters mounted in the center of the front speakers in the doors. In the GS-R model, the tweeters were mounted by themselves just below the windows.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The reason why they don't use the "whizzer cone" in the rear is to minimise rear high frequencies. Plus from their perspective it would save some money.
To help, hear is an example. Subs are big and tweeters are small. The large cone of the speaker will give you lower freqs. and the small cone in the center will give you higher frequencies.
The other cone you see is call the "dust cap" it protects the voice coil of the speaker and depending on the configuration of the cone it can act as a type of mechanical cross over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.