Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, recently I installed WW's Big Mouth body kit, as many of you have seen. Well, now a problem has arisen that is causing the passenger side front end of the kit to become unattached from the mounts on the wheel well. The cause appears to have come from something in the engine generating enough heat on that wheel well to melt the splash gard around the wheel well that the kit attaches to. A large portion of the wheel well, closest to the front end mount has completely melted away, the rest has become very brittle, and an attempt to move the front end mount in a little more only cause the hole to break out.

I have a cai and I am guess the heat from the engine bay is some how escaping through the gap around the intake. Is this a common problem? Also, any suggestions for a workaround mount for the front end, possible using some kind of anchor to the frame as oppossed to something plastic? Please let me know your ideas. I would like to avoid buying a new splash guard as I am sure it will melt just as this one has.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Taken from site guidelines:

Bumping Threads
Keep it fair to all members and do not needlessly "bump" or "ttt" a topic you started. Chances are very good that if someone knew the answer or wanted to buy something, that they most definitely would post a reply.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't think it's heat from your engine. It's probably your wheel rubbing the splash guard. I'm assuming that when you installed the front bumper, the splash guard was not secured all the way, resulting in the wheel rub.

Some of these aftermarket bumpers, particularly the fiberglass ones, are prone to breaking the fender mounts due to their rigidity and lack of lower front mounts. The stock bumper is more flexible, so the vibrations from the road are not all transfered to the mounts.

Solution:
Make sure that any part of the plastic splash guard that wasn't rubbed/melted away is secured to the chassis. As for the fender mount, I'm not sure what you attempted to do which resulted in the "hole breaking out", but if the hole is unusable try drilling another hole through the bumper flange and fender lip and use a strong zip-tie to secure the two holes together. Zip-ties are favorable because they will break if there is a sudden impact. This will save your fenders from bending.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
who installed it for u...did u do it yourself...if you did it yourself the only thing u can dois take it to a shop and repair it..if a SHop did it for u take it to them and they should repair it because they should have seen the problem.......If you did it yourself oNCE AGAIN I HAVE TO SAY...dont do body work unless u know what your doing or else your in for a suprise sooner or later

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Justin Klemgold on Aug/28/02 said:
Bumping Threads
Keep it fair to all members and do not needlessly "bump" or "ttt" a topic you started. Chances are very good that if someone knew the answer or wanted to buy something, that they most definitely would post a reply.
Congrats on your new role of thread police!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds like definately what may have happened. The kit is urethane, but still resulted in a tight fit. The hole that broke at I was referring to, was not on the kit itself, but on the weakend splash gaurd.

The mount on the fender is still OK. The only mount that has come apart was the front lip to the lower splash guard. So the only way I can see to re-attach that protion is to use something else to make an extension to another portion of the frame. Like a long peice of metal. But a really long zip tie may work. I will look into the feasability of that.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
kcjames on Aug/28/02 said:
Quote: Justin Klemgold on Aug/28/02Bumping Threads Keep it fair to all members and do not needlessly "bump" or "ttt" a topic you started. Chances are very good that if someone knew the answer or wanted to buy something, that they most definitely would post a reply.
Congrats on your new role of thread police!
Thank you, but I decline the position. It's really not that hard to follow the simple guidelines that are made for this site. Read what it says, if you bump, your thread will be deleted. I would think that having your thread deleted would prove to be more troublesome than someone trying to help you...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote: ...dont do body work unless u know what your doing or else your in for a suprise sooner or later[/QUOTE]
Come on!? We are not talking rocket science here. This is a bolt on body kit. No bondo, no painting. The install was VERY easy, anybody who can read, can install your standard urethane bodykit. And I most certainly am not going to pay somebody to do something I can do myself, with a little research.

Yes, the single mount on the splash guard broke out. Was that a result of poor installation? I think not. More likely a result of trying to mount something that has excessive tension to cheap plastic. There was no damage resulting to any part of the vehicle other than the splash gaurd. A simple work around will have me back in business in no time.

Thanks guys for your help.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Justin Klemgold on Aug/28/02 said:
Thank you, but I decline the position. It's really not that hard to follow the simple guidelines that are made for this site. Read what it says, if you bump, your thread will be deleted. I would think that having your thread deleted would prove to be more troublesome than someone trying to help you...
As I am quite sure you can see... it did result in people answering my question. So obviously it was not noticed upon first posting, and there were those who missed it that had answers. I am sure you are aware this is the only time I have ever done this.

Since you seem so concerned. And if it is such a problem for you, one would think you would just ignore it and move on, being secure in your knowledge that the thread would be deleted. But, I guess not. Instead, you seem more concerned with making yourself feel important by being the resident hall monitor or tattle tell or whatever you wanna call it.

Thank you for your input, it has truly advanced this topic in a positive direction!

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Dude, why are you getting so offended? Those words I quoted from the site guidelines are not my personal words. They are the words of the administrators. Far be it for me to help them out by pointing out that you shouldn't be bumping your threads. They have enough stuff to worry about, I was just saving them the hassle.

It's not like I got on your case about it, you're the one that started calling me names. All I did was quote the guidelines, which we all must abide by. Nobody is exempt from them, not even you believe it or not.

My point was not to point out to the mods what you were doing and get the topic locked. It wasn't even to make myself "feel important." It was to give you a nudge as if to say "hey man, don't do that next time." You need to calm down, I did nothing wrong here.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am calm dude. Its not like I started bumping the heck out of my post. It was posted early this morning, I waited nearly 8 hours with no response. I simply bumped it to see if anyone missed it and I said as much in the post.

I am entirely aware how annoying it is bumping threads over and over. That is why I specifically noted a *bump* guess no one cares, kinda thing in the post. To do a one last check kind of thing. If you want to nudge someone, feel free to send them a pm about it next time and not post in the thread.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Eh, if you feel like "bumping" next time, feel free to read the guidelines.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts