Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I have recently acquired a 98+ bumper for REAL cheap. the only problem is that it was in a low speed accident. what would be the easiest way to go about repairing this??

here are some pics of the damage

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
It looks pretty "fubar". The only thing I can think of for the dents is to heat it from the backside with a heat-gun or something and see if you can pop it back out. Bumpers are tricky because heating them can warp the paint and stuff.

It looks like there is quite a bit of structural damage and is probably glorified scrap. :(

You're better off just buying something from Craigslist or Ebay and starting fresh.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
If you're going to paint it anyway, Bondo makes a bumper repair kit. That should fix up the cracks after you clean them out. maybe a piece of screen behind that chunk missing and use more flexible bondo to make the bumper come back to normal status.

Whatever you do its got to be able to flex, expand and contract.

Hope that help'd some

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i was looking into heat gunning it out, possibly fiberglassing the back for support of the cracks and bondoing over them. I guess my biggest question is does this sound about right, and what kind of bondo to use, like what does everyone use to shave a bumper...

and thanks SniperX for the link

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
no problem, but I'd only use something flexible. Having a small patch of normal bondo or fibreglass could crack becuase the rest of the bumper will expand and contract and flex. Thats why I suggested a small piece of screen to use and the flex bondo to build up and shape to make it look new again.

·
Registered
527 Posts
your better off getting a new 98 bumper for like 100 bucks...if you do it yourself you need supplies worth like 50 bucks not to mention time it would take and how good or bad it would come out..body shops charge you easily around 200.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea but I picked this OEM one up for 10 bucks and would rather repair it for 50 than spend 100 on a replica, and I've got plenty of time to work on it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.