Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as a skid plate to protect your front bumper from potholes, speed bumps, or dips in the road? I searched and the only thing I could find was skid plates for headers, not bumpers.

I have an LS (I need to change my name)lowered about an inch or so from stock on TEIN Basic Coilover's and I scrape on the smallest dips in the road & its killing me. Is everyone out there just letting their front end take this abuse, or is there a solution? I would like to know how all of you out there with PERFECT front ends keep it so clean while so low at the same time. THANKS

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
No there isn't you could perhaps make some plate and bolt it to it but it just wouldnt look good, maybe your car is too low my car's front is about 4-5 inches of the ground and I dont hit anything and barely bottom out even on steep driveways.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
i'm dropped like 2.5 in the front. I got no problems and the roads here suck. construction everywhere. My advice is to get a lip and it will protect your bumper. but then again it will bring you down another 1-2 inches.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my car is about 4 inches off the ground. What kind of shocks do you have? Could it be my shocks and springs (TEIN)? I just dont understand how everyone else with cars lower than mine dont have this problem. I dont have trouble with driveways at an angle, besides the plastic splashguards which Im about to remove. But if there is a slight dip in the road my bumper just bottoms out instantly. The sound of my bumper grinding against the pavement drives me CRAZY.

·
Banned
9,126 Posts
you have a skid plate already from the factory keep in mind its a rather useless one as its just plastic but it does what its intended for mainly for water though

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^how are you lowered 3 inches and you dont scrape? I wish I lived where you live.

hmmmm..... Ive never thought of a front lip for bumper protection. Thats brilliant, yet expensive

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
fodoGSR on Oct/08/07 said:
my car is about 4 inches off the ground. What kind of shocks do you have? Could it be my shocks and springs (TEIN)? I just dont understand how everyone else with cars lower than mine dont have this problem. I dont have trouble with driveways at an angle, besides the plastic splashguards which Im about to remove. But if there is a slight dip in the road my bumper just bottoms out instantly. The sound of my bumper grinding against the pavement drives me CRAZY.
i have tein basics, although right now its drop to the lowest setting, i usually keep a 1.5 in gap in my fender and i dont have prob. scraping.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Check out my profile and look how low my car is. Conservative by comparison to some of the other cars here. And I DO scrape on occasion. Its all in your approach, if its not smooth then a good rule of thumb is to just simply slow down. And steep driveways or slops just go at it at an angle. I lose my head on occasion and get caught off gaurd, just be mindful of the driving conditions and you should be o.k.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
A custom windage tray might help.

1. raise the car up
2. learn how to hit bumps/dips at an angle to minimize damage
3. learn to live with the damage

I eventually learned to just accept some light damage to my front lip...there are just some times when it will scrape, it's normal.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, thanks for the advice. I will be purchasing a front lip from streetstyler as soon as I recouporate from spending so much on my JRSC setup ($1000 hytech exhaust included). I will post pics up of my front end damage in the next few days and maybe we can compare to show some of you a little more of what Im talking about.

·
Registered
542 Posts
my cars bottomed out on omni power coils and i dont really have a problem with dips and such. You just gotta learn the roads u drive on and learn how to either avoid the dips and such or learn how to go sideways over it

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Try doing a layer of Rhino Lining along the bottom of your bumper. I am going to be putting an oem "R" lip on in a short while and plan on doing that do help it when it scrapes.

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Just take dips and such Uber sideways, and slow waaaay down. It's like having to learn a whole new style of evasive driving haha!

I gotta do it all the time, especially over railroad tracks. Around here they never replace the wood blocks in between the tracks and they drop down a good 4" in some spots LOL!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I am lowerd and have about 3ish inch to work with. Can't even put a jack under it so you know it pretty harsh. After driving low you get the syndrome. I drive my mom minivan and bam i saw a dip and was freaking out. Than i remember... o right this is a van lol. Just watch you street get use to the road around you and learn slow down before hurdle and not on the hurdle itself because it cause your car to take even more dmg. I hate car that tailgate while you want to slow down on the crappy railroad track.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.