Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I had a problem with coolant a little while ago and managed to get that under control. Least I think I did. I've got an issue with the front brake piston..I followed the brake pad/rotor instructions. I can't get the piston back into the housing. I first tried using vice grips around the sides of the piston with little luck..Then I did something stupid, hoping it would help..I started the car and pumped the brakes hoping that would un-seize the piston..it pushed it out further..I've tried all night with the vice grips. I had enough and took another car to sears and bought a huge freakin' C-clamp, when I tighten that down centered on the center of the inner piston I get no movement..I only had a chance to try twice with the c-clamp as it was well past dark here.

Is there something i'm missing? I removed the brake fluid cap to allow air to release. if I try with the c'clamp and then pull the bottom of the rubber seal up a bit, a little brake fluid trickles out. It seems like the piston is set pretty much straight in-line, but it could just be because it's dark.

Any help I would greatly appreciated,I'm in a time crunch, now i'm stuck with having to take tomorrow off because I can't get my car drivable in time. Hoping not to have to take any more days off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just act like your bleeding the brakes and losen that little 10mm nipple on the caliper and the fluid should release. That will get all the pressure out then you could just push the piston in with your hand (easily). Just don't forget to bleed the caliper after installation.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jojo I wish..The C'clamp wasn't moving even a tiny bit when I torqued her down good, no way a screwdriver would do anything..even a hammer wasn't budging it..It's a 5" clamp too.

Integraguy:If I bleed the fluid out, I can bleed just the caliper? Same way as bleeding brakes normally with the hose and the nipple?

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you lossen that bleeder screw you could just push in the piston with your hand. when you lossen that screw the fluid will leak as much as you push the piston back in, in other words when you open the screw the fluid won't just start pouring out. You could just bleed one caliper, air won't get in past the caliper.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Edited by jojo at 02/17/2004 09:35:22 PM
If you let air into one caliper you should bleed all the lines...or take a big chance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sheesh..I thought this was going to be an easy 2 hour job..Started at 2pm..Quit with it around 7pm or so. Those 2 bolts holding the brake pad coller were a bit of a pain too..

How would I notice if air got past the brake lines for that side? ::Note:: I haven't even started the other side yet.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Just bleed them all and you won't have to worry about it. You don't know so do them all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.