1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current mods: i/h/c/e

My future mods:
crower 403's, skunk2 IM, p&p head, tuning with hondata

1) Ok, I have a fpr sitting around. If I tune with a hondata unit, will I need the fpr at all? I'm thinking of selling it becuase I could use the money.

2) For the installation process, could I install the IM myself now and save $, and drive like that for a few months without tuning? Or should I wait and have the shop the put the head and IM in at the same time? Are the advantages/disadvantages to either way?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Buyimports2 on Feb/15/06 said:
1) Ok, I have a fpr sitting around. If I tune with a hondata unit, will I need the fpr at all? I'm thinking of selling it becuase I could use the money.

2) For the installation process, could I install the IM myself now and save $, and drive like that for a few months without tuning? Or should I wait and have the shop the put the head and IM in at the same time? Are the advantages/disadvantages to either way?

Thanks
1. You wont need it. You can tune very precisely without changing fuel pressure with Hondata.

2. Head/IM at same time would be preferrable, unless you want to lose power rolling around untuned with too big of an IM. Its really your choice.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Depending on what IM you decide to purchase...keep the FPR.Its' worth having it around just incase IMO. Like MeltMan insinuated, the Hondata system is a great tuning program.

MeltMan on Feb/15/06 said:
2. Head/IM at same time would be preferrable, unless you want to lose power rolling around untuned with too big of an IM. Its really your choice.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if you have an FPR it just allows you a quick adjust at the track if it's a hot day and you're running leaner and need a little more fuel without having to go back and reset your hondata fuel maps on a reflash if you have the burner and emulator hardware. if you don't have the emulator and burner at the track, the FPR comes in as a quick fix option but for tuning you probably won't need it since the hondata can adjust the injector duty cycle for more fuel.

what may happen though is that if your injectors are too small and don't flow enough and you're at 100% duty cycle, the FPR can buy you more room.

so if you turn up the wick on a 240 cc/min stock injector to the max FP at say 60 psi from 42 psi FP,you're looking at a 288 cc/min. injector instead of a 240 injector and it allows you to turn down the duty cycle on the hondata fuel map to get the same fuel delivery. This is especially handy for the upper rpms near redline.

you'll obviously have to lean down further in the midrange if you crank the FP up for the upper rpms.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks MD.

The idea behind my build is to a fast street car. This car is my daily driver and won't be spending much time at the track. I was hoping that once everything was installed, I would have it tuned, and then I would be done with modifications and tuning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.