Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i am in the beginnings of putting together a custom turbo kit (one piece at a time). I am now beginning to wonder after i have done more research if it will be worth the tuning and possible risk of runing by b18c1. Heres the facts, i have limited money because i am in college so i can only afford a piggy back system. i would love to go with hondata, but that is not an option. so i guess my question to everyone is it practical to make a piggyback system reliable with some tuning. i mean fmu, injectors, v-afc, missing link, etc on 4-8Ibs of boost. any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would not go as far as "tuned perfectly" The optimal "tuned perfectly" would be a stand alone for sure ! But for 8psi, sure a piggy-back system will work ! Shoot for 11:8 AFR and your dam near perfect !

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would using the ECG Super Map Controller that Jtfalcon referred to elimate the need for other upgrades, (afc, etc).

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's supposed to be a multifunction unit..in a month or so there should be testamonials available from Clubsi..it's all the rave over there..the claimed functions combine injector tuning, fuel flow control and map lock to keep you from seeing the Check Engine light. For sub $100, if it's all that it's cracked up to be I'd say good investment for anyone boosting who only has funds for piggyback over Hondata/AEM

·
Registered
693 Posts
TurboLS on Sep/29/02 said:
boost, i thought u were against the whole "afc for turbo" movement? or were u only referring to larger injectors with the afc?
I am not against it at all...It's what I am currently running with 310's ! Now this so called "AFC-Hack" I am totally against ! I highly suggest using a stand alone for the optimal performance/tuning however !
But not everyone can afford this. If you run above 10psi a stand alone is a must !

·
Registered
22 Posts
jared on Sep/29/02 said:
Hey guys i am in the beginnings of putting together a custom turbo kit (one piece at a time). I am now beginning to wonder after i have done more research if it will be worth the tuning and possible risk of runing by b18c1. Heres the facts, i have limited money because i am in college so i can only afford a piggy back system. i would love to go with hondata, but that is not an option. so i guess my question to everyone is it practical to make a piggyback system reliable with some tuning. i mean fmu, injectors, v-afc, missing link, etc on 4-8Ibs of boost. any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.
For 8psi I wouldnt even bother upgrading injectors and getting a vafc. Unles tuned perfectly, the larger injectors will make ur car idle worse, hurt gas mileage and possibly induse a part throttle bog when the Vafc switches between part throttle and full throttle maps. at 8psi w/ the stock injectors/fmu/inline fuel pump you will achieve a 12:1 or richer a/f. I dont see why you want to change things when you dont have too. NOW go over 8psi on stock injectors/12:1 FMU and kiss ur motor good bye, u will definitly end up leaning out. So basically, if u want to pick up a lower rise rate FMU and larger injectors just to be on the safe side, be ready to spend some extra cash on the dyno to get it tuned right and be ready to sacrifice some gas mileage and honda drivability that you are accustomed too with stock ECU and stock injectors. If it was my car, i would leave the injectors stock, not buy an AFC and just keep the boost below 8psi and save the extra 300$(injectors) + 300$(vafc) + 300$ (dyno tuning) and put it towards a standalone later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts