Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hear the biggest FMIC you can fit is from greddy... i was wondering if anyone had one and a picture of their car... if you do.. i would really appreciate it if you could post a picture of your car with the greddy FMIC... thanx

·
Registered
695 Posts
wtf is FMIC?

·
Registered
515 Posts
frount mount intercooler...and theres no limit to how big of an intercooler u can fit...ive seen a apexi skyline intercooler on a civic hatch...it just takes work, money, and time...anythings possible

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
holy cow.. how many people DoN'T READ posts that already explain what FMIC is.. the guy doesn't need 10 people explaining what it is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Front Mount Intercooler. I am pretty sure you can fit bigger, but you might need to cut your bumper. That's what a civic around me did. But here is a pic of a car that cut their front bumper so the whole FMIC is showing and funtional.

·
Registered
48 Posts
damn i thought i would have been the third one to post but 5 people posted in front of me. Damn you guys reply quick lol.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
What type of setup are you running that requiars the biggest FMIC that they make?

I seen a guy cut the bottom part of his bumper off to fit a FMIC on his teg, if he would have scraped it would have been terrible.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
umm. that pic of that black mirage isn't really a turbo, so saying that one is functional isn't exactly true lol. Often, its cheaper if you know someone who can fab you up one. The incooler needs to be relative to the amount of power your able to run w/o losing turbo spool and increasing turbo lag.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
blkalteg on Aug/10/04 said:
umm. that pic of that black mirage isn't really a turbo, so saying that one is functional isn't exactly true lol. Often, its cheaper if you know someone who can fab you up one. The incooler needs to be relative to the amount of power your able to run w/o losing turbo spool and increasing turbo lag.
So with FMIC's bigger is not always better? How can a FMIC effect turbo lag and spooling?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I guess it has to do with more air+fuel=power, but you need a good balance of the two. Too much air, you run too lean, too much fuel you run too rich. At least I THINK I'm right. Not sure.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
I've seen bigger haha, I seen a guy mount a intercooler from a diesel truck in the trunk of his MR2 feed by a huge scoop and dual fans sucking out air through it and out of the hole cut in his floor.

All that air is gonna have to make it's way through the intercooler before it gets to the engine, so if you are running like 6psi for instance, you dont' need one that huge. We have an intercooler article, I don't know if it talks about size, but give that a read.

It's basically the engine packaging idea again, you got to match the right parts for the car to run at it's best.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Also, if you run too big of an intercooler how is your radiator going to get any air in order to cool your motor? Integras are so closed up in first place, even the smaller intercoolers people run on there tegs deal with overheating. But I guess anything is possible if you have the time, the know how and especialy the money.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
tunergsr32 on Aug/10/04 said:
Also, if you run too big of an intercooler how is your radiator going to get any air in order to cool your motor? Integras are so closed up in first place, even the smaller intercoolers people run on there tegs deal with overheating. But I guess anything is possible if you have the time, the know how and especialy the money.
Yeah, I run a rather small one (it is a bit thick though), and it works great, but it does really kill airflow to the radiator. Upgrading to a Fluidyne did nothing for me, since it can't function any better than stock without air. It was ok on the street and drag, but the coolant started to get too hot after about 4 laps on the road course. I had to cut an upper vent in my front bumper and it seems to be ok on the road course now. Running a larger or thicker FMIC is only going to give you more problems; 99% of the time it's just bling and there's no benefit from doing that.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Maximum Boost by Corky Bell said:
Heat transfer area is the sum of all the plates and shells in the heat exchanger core that are responsible for transmitting heat out of the system. Easy to see that the greater the heat transfer area, the more efficient the intercooler. This is not a case, however, where twice the area doubles the efficiency. A 10% increase in core will net you about 10% of the amount you did not get out the first time. Therefore, every 10% increase will become less and less important. For example, if an existing intercooler core measures 70% efficient, a 10% core increase should yield about 10% if that missing 30%, or a new efficiently of 73%.

Quote: It's basically the engine packaging idea again, you got to match the right parts for the car to run at it's best.
w0rd! ^^^

·
Registered
15 Posts
toneman14 on Aug/10/04 said:
Quote: blkalteg on Aug/10/04umm. that pic of that black mirage isn't really a turbo, so saying that one is functional isn't exactly true lol. Often, its cheaper if you know someone who can fab you up one. The incooler needs to be relative to the amount of power your able to run w/o losing turbo spool and increasing turbo lag.
So with FMIC's bigger is not always better? How can a FMIC effect turbo lag and spooling?
As you increase the size of the FMIC, you also increase the volume of air that the turbo needs to compress, which means if you have a smaller turbo and a huge FMIC, your air inlet temperature may be lower, but it's going to take longer for system to achieve full boost.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

i saved that picture from a while back i thought it looked pretty cool and the intercooler looks pretty big so maybe it will show you how big they can be on our cars.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts