Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read another thread about the effects of purchasing a lighter flywheel and stock and recall MD saying that a lighter flywheel leads to "motorcycle" like climbing through the RPM's. As I understand it, this quick increase also means that they will drop just as fast. So, to stay in the powerband, one must shift really quickly in order to minimize the RPM drop.

Out of sheer curiosity, would a heavier flywheel mean that the RPM's would drop slower when shifting so that you could maintain optimal powerband location when the car is put into the next gear? If yes, I realize that while this could be a benefit, it would take longer initially to get to the higher RPM's and powerband.

I hope I haven't made any incorrenct assumptions, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
When you shift you will still land at the same RPMs reguardless of your flywheel. Your gear ratios are what determines your RPM changes as you go through the gears.

The RPMs will drop faster with a lightweight flywheel but not so much to where the engine is playing catchup with the transmission on the shift. Just don't granny shift and you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In other words, I overestimated the effect that a lighter or heavier flywheel would have on the RPM drop when the clutch is depressed?

Just want to make sure.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
It does drop much faster that's for sure. But so fast to where it drops further than the next gear's targeted RPM? Not unless you shift VERY casually.

If you want to maintain optimal powerband location shorten your gear ratios, the flywheel doesn't have any effect on that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts