Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be replacing a clutch in a 96 RS soon, and was wondering how to tell if the flywheel needs to be resurfaced? The car only has about 85,000 miles on it. What are some signs to look for? Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Look for gouges on the flywheel. I just changed a clutch on my friends 91 integra with about 200,000 miles on it and all the flywheel needed was a light sanding.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
it's recommended you resurface it anytime you replace the clutch; for proper seating and whatnot

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Lightweight flywheel time man. It's easily the best mod for the money, it will improve your car's performance and feel much more than any equally priced bolt on would.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, if it was my car, i would definately be putting a light weight flywheel in. My friend has no money to do so though, so that isn't an option. I got him and ACT HDSS setup in hopes in doesnt break it. In about 4,000 miles, he broke a dampening spring or two off of the clutch disc. I will post pics when we get it all out in the next day or two. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
one thing that happened to me that you might want to consider:

About a year ago I trashed my clutch. I also boogered up the flywheel. I had a shop resurface it. About 4 months later, the ring fell off of the flywheel. It sucked mucho ass. Lemme know if ya want pics of it. I still got it and I can take some pictures.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm...after here your story IntegraBad18c, I am not so sure. Should I just leave it if it looks OK, and if it looks beat up and marred, replace it? on a tight budget for this project, so I am kind of stuck for ideas. Thanks for the info so far!

·
Registered
321 Posts
i got quoted 200 to take out the stock fltwheel and resurface it, not worth the money. also when you resurface and lighten a stock flywheel you are reducing weight but also taking away strength from the flywheel which gives you more of a chance for it to screw you in the end just like what happand to IntegraBad18c. i would just buy a new lightened flywheel cause its light and its just as strong if not stronger than a stock flywheel and you dont have to worry about it fallin apart or not performing up to peak performace

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
knightrider,
Lightening a flywheel - around $50, new light flywheel around $400. The labor is necessary either way. If lightening is done right strength isn't taken away, mass and thermal mass are - the flywheel could run hotter. IntegraBad18c didn't lighten his flywheel; he had it resurfaced. I had about 5 lbs removed from my CRX Si flywheel at around 98,000 miles and it worked just fine until I got rid of it at around 200,000 miles. It was a hard driven street car. There are pros & cons to every mod.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts