Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMHO aftermarket radios don't look good in integras cause they don't flush mount with the dash. Has anyone been able to flush mount their aftermarket radio?

·
Registered
72 Posts
yeah, in fact, Circuit City did mine...it was free!! but anyways, the kit that they sell is by far the best Ive seen. I was even able to keep my little pocket underneath the stereo. Its flush with the rest of the dash. Go there and get the mounting kit that they use, you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I ghetto rigged mine with wood, old erector set metal pieces, screws, and zip ties...looks like crap when you open it up, but from the front its flush mounted and doesnt move around at all.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
wow thats alot of work to do according to that artical. I went to circuit city, bought a plastic housing with built in cubby hole benieth the radio and it all went in with out any consol removal. the plastic piece was only like 15 bucks too. I have a picture of it but no scanner

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That "alot of work" will help keep your radio there better should someone get the bright idea to break in and steal it

just one more layer in the cake my friend

·
Registered
68 Posts
I didnt even use a kit. I just used the cubbyhole off the stock radio, electric tape, and some random scrap metal. Took a little bit of customizing but it looks fantasitic and wont move a bit. I also bolted it down in the back.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
tsugsr on Jun/28/04 said:
wow thats alot of work to do according to that artical. I went to circuit city, bought a plastic housing with built in cubby hole benieth the radio and it all went in with out any consol removal. the plastic piece was only like 15 bucks too. I have a picture of it but no scanner
yes, you used a prefab mounting kit, which does not keep the radio flush compared to the rest of the dash console....

for whoever posted "thats a lotta work" to do it like in the aritcle, its 45 mins to do the whole thing start to finish

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
some head units arent even designed to be mounted flush...foir instance, my Pioneer Premier 540mp sticks out about 3/4 of an inch from the dash, but it is supposed to be that way, since it has dual motorized faces....granted this is a special case as very few HU's are like this, but my point is that many HU's arent going to lie flat in the dash no matter how well they are mounted

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
arent you contridicting yourself?
JustTegIt on Jun/28/04 said:
granted this is a special case as very few HU's are like this
to the sentence right after
Quote: JustTegIt on Jun/28/04 but my point is that many HU's arent going to lie flat in the dash no matter how well they are mounted
"special cases" and "very few" are not oart of the "many" group...

i bet maybe 1 in 50 decks, and that's being generous, require some sort of mounting clearance in the front

·
Registered
523 Posts
Dominick331 on Jun/28/04 said:
I ghetto rigged mine with wood, old erector set metal pieces, screws, and zip ties...looks like crap when you open it up, but from the front its flush mounted and doesnt move around at all.
Damn, that is ghetto rigged!

I used duct tape.....damn...thats ghetto rigged too!

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
just because duct tape can be used to hold up exhausts or hold together windows means that anything that involves using it means it is a hack job or "ghetto rigged"

·
Registered
523 Posts
MorningZ on Jun/28/04 said:
just because duct tape can be used to hold up exhausts or hold together windows means that anything that involves using it means it is a hack job or "ghetto rigged"
Question or statement?

Usually when somebody used duct tape its kinda rigged, but then again it works good, so its okay.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
one thing about that article... when it says "tape it tight" and duct tape is being used, its telling you to do something that isn't possible. duct tape (over a very short period of time) will stretch out and become loose. its not meant to tape tight, it has give and is meant to be very pliable and workable. In order to tape it tight you would have to use packing tape which will not stretch. Just a couple extra cents for the thread.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
hmmm.. i guess 7 years of having my radio install exactly like the article using the exact materials shown in the article doesn't mean anything...

of course you can "tape tight" with duct tape, your reply is so way off, its not even funny

·
Registered
523 Posts
The article worked for me, i used the white duct tape. Thats all i had, the decks in there good. Packing tape is not near as strong as duct tape though, nor does it stick as well.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
hmmm... no my reply isn't way off... duct tape is made to be stretchable so it forms to whatever you're taping better. packing tape while not as thick as duct tape can be made strong if you apply a couple extra layers. while this may not be the right way to describe it, i'm going to say it has a better "tensil" strength. If you take a strip of packing tape and a strip of duct tape and put equal force on each (pulling the ends), the duct tape WILL STRETCH! the packing tape will only break if you put an excessive amount of stress on it or if you compromise it by cutting into it.

try packing a heavy package and taping up the box with duct tape... ITS GOING TO STRETCH!

I've used duct tape in many things, i know a little bit about how it works.

Oh and by the way, i never said it doesn't work... cuz i have my deck held in partially with duct tape also... and yeah, mine is still in there fine... i simply said, it cannot be relied on to tape things tight. the reason it is holding well is because its so damn sticky, and there isn't much stress being put on it in the first place, unless you like to try and yank out your head unit for sh*ts and giggles. the thing is just sitting on top of the tray.

anyways, this is off topic, so on with the original topic.

~good day

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
man, just do your own thing that you think is gonna work... who care if it streatch, as long as it works.

silvertegGS on Jun/29/04 said:
try packing a heavy package and taping up the box with duct tape... ITS GOING TO STRETCH!
the deck is not gonna weight a ton.

if you tape it tight, even if it streatch, it will only be a little, far from enough to get the whole thing to become lose.

back to topic,

what is that dash kit thing that we can use it to "mount flush" with the dash??? don't get what he mean by flush... which kit is he talking about? any pic?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts