Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to switch to a dot4 brakefluid (synpower is my choice as of now), what would be the best way to drain my current brake fluid?

Should I just drain it all out of one brake bleeder screw, fill up, then bleed all four brakes?

Or should I drain it from all four brakes, then fill, then bleed all four brakes?

Draining it dry is probably going to get alot of air in it, which means lots of bleeding, any better way to do it?

Thanks in advance =)

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Open one bleeder screw and pump out some of the old fluid (about 1/2~3/4 of the mastercylinder). Add new fluid to the cylinder and keep doing this until you see new fluid ejects from the bleeder screw. Keep doing this for the other three sides. Takes about 30 minuutes, with a buddy helping.

one all the fluid is changed, rebleed the system like normal.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have done the process myself too. To bad I didnt take pics i could have made it go in the article section. Gvtec put it as short as possible but I would stress you need another person for the fact that you need one person pumping the brake while the other opening and closeing the brake valve screws so no air gets back in the lines. i would say it will take longer then 30 mins because you have to take off all tires and jack up the car each time for each wheel. Unless you have a hoist in your garrage =). If you need more assistance just post back here.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys

So there isn't a problem with old fluid left in the system mixing with the new fluid?

·
Registered
395 Posts
no im sure there shouldnt be a prob mixing but of course with anything it will prob work best not mixed just as long as you dont get any air bubbles in the lines.

3-4 qts the plasic bottles that are like half the size of a regular 1 litre oil bottle maybe smaller im just averaging. So -3-4 of them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know this is gonna sound funny, but i noticed my brake fluid was lookin dirty and wanted to add synthetic dot4 in, well i've bled the fluid before and didnt feel like doin it again so this is what i did. I took a wetdry vac and stuck it in the brake resevoir and vacuum the fluid out and added the new stuff don't know if this isn't a good idead but my brakes work fine.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
aznzbmixin on Apr/19/03 said:
I know this is gonna sound funny, but i noticed my brake fluid was lookin dirty and wanted to add synthetic dot4 in, well i've bled the fluid before and didnt feel like doin it again so this is what i did. I took a wetdry vac and stuck it in the brake resevoir and vacuum the fluid out and added the new stuff don't know if this isn't a good idead but my brakes work fine.
well no doubt you're brakes work fine. only problem is that the only fluid you changed was the stuff in the master cylinder. You still have all fluid in master cylinder pump, the lines, the calipers...

The whole point of bleeding them when you change the fluid is to pump all the old stuff out of the system, all you did was suck out the old stuff in what is essnetially a reserve tank and put new stuff in. Theres alot more fluid in all the lines, inside the cylinder, and in the calipers than there is in the resevoir...

·
Registered
308 Posts
on an added note if you have ABS make sure you drain the resivor on the modulator and re-fill it with the dot4 also. Do this with the key on, crack the bleeder on the modulator with a small hose attached to it and it will kick on and pump out all the fluid. I just recently did what ur doing to mine and I still couldn't get it bled properly. pedal still seems a bit more spongey than it was before i flushed out all the old fluid and re-did it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts