Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, as you can see Im Beckys Dad, Becky just took ownership of a 1998 hammered but driveable integra. Its a great first car...its the LS Automatic. Here is our delima, her key doesnt want to release from the ignition and thru everything I have seen on you tube and what I have been able to figure I believe it is acutally the shift lever that is the issue. there is a small button on the drivers side of the base of the shifter that when it is (button) pushed up will allow the key to come out freely. I have been able to pull the key out without doing this but you have to fight it. from what I have read I believe that spot where the button is has wore out and if I replace it that would solve the issue. it has been suggested changing the cylinder and harness, but I dont know that that would solve the issue as I have said when the button is pushed up it will free the key. So what is my question....how hard would it be to pull the shifter assembly and replace it with a used one? I have my eyes on a used one currently. Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not sure how the lower workings of an automatic shifter go together, but I do know that to get down to the shifter you just have to pop off a few interior panels and remove the shift boot. If you're mechanically inclined I wouldn't expect it to be very difficult, but you might want to browse through a service manual beforehand to get an idea of what has to be done

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how the lower workings of an automatic shifter go together, but I do know that to get down to the shifter you just have to pop off a few interior panels and remove the shift boot. If you're mechanically inclined I wouldn't expect it to be very difficult, but you might want to browse through a service manual beforehand to get an idea of what has to be done
This was not hard at all to get off but you do need to get under the car as there are bolts that hold the shifter to the floor board. Thank You for you help Jpletcher.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts