Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went "pricing" this weekend for my new:
URETHANE - front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts.
FIBERGLASS - hood, wing

Paint: Stock Gernalda Black pearl.

Got a price from one place for $750-1000...and he tells me:"I'll add Flex additive to the Urethane pieces so it stays flexable for you to install" (i want to paint now and let sit garage for 2-3 months to cure) "however the flex additive is gone in about 30days and will become as brittle as regular paint"

Does this sound right? or should i be looking for another type of paint or additive that stays flexable with the urethane pieces?

A few of the other places i went to never even mentioned anything like this... they just said yeah we can do it. (would of asked them about the additive as well but the place listed above was the last place i went)

thoughts?

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
I always thought the flex additive was permanent to help aid against rock chips. Usually the bumpers and mirros have this because the paint is harder to stick to the urethane then metal.

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
furious94ls, is right about the rock chips. i cant think of the name but was brother (that works at a bodyshop) was telling me they add some sort of harder so the paint can take the rocks adn prevent it from chipping, but this doesnt mean its gonna chip eventually. also allowing your bumper to cure for 3 months is going to do any better than letting it cure for a week.
since your worried about rocks, and believe me so am i, i would just go ahead and get the clear bra put on ur bumper. its that clear transparent sticker that acts like a bra but see threw. most sticker shops should sell this if you wondering what it is

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he said he has no problem with the paint sticking to the urethane... but the actuall "flex additive" will be gone in 30 days.

then what, i hit a curb and bend the bumper slightly and the paint cracks all to hell like a fiberglass bumper or what?i dont understand that very well.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Flex agent should always be used on flexable parts to eliminate cracking when the part bends.

"however the flex additive is gone in about 30days and will become as brittle as regular paint"
- This is wrong, flexabalizer doesn't come out of the paint but rather keeps the paint softer to resist chipping and cracking. The paint stays softer than normal for the life of the paint.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Well the paint would spider crack regardless if you hit a curb. I don't see how the flex additive goes away in 30 days.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Flex additive goes away in about 3 days.

Flex is one of the biggest hypes in the automotive body repair business. Different places will tell you different things, but my body guy (good friend of mine) told me the truth. Why would he lie to me?

Anyways, all flex does is allows the bumpers or any urethane/fiberglass piece to be painted off the car (for better coverage of paint) and allows the paint to stay 'soft' for 3 days or less.

Pretty much...You paint the piece, let it dry overnight, then mount it up to the car. It will then cure.

once again, all flex does is allows the paint to not begin curing for the first 72 hours after painting

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I had my extreme urethane front painted by a shop. Within a month the paint was falling off all around the lip and lower parts of the bumper. I took it back- they scrapped paint samples and mailed them to Dupont. Dupont admitted failure of the flex additives and paid for the new paintjob. Ever since then I've been fine. The paint started cracking from the flexible urethane bending under high speeds. one it cracked it started to peel. You need the flex and it is there to stay. I'd build some brackets to support your front end if it is a complete bumper replacement.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well it looks like it depends which paint system you use because PPG "DX 369 flextive" keeps the paint softer for the life of the paint.

Flex agent is not "hype" if you were a painter you would know this. I've used it on cars and fabric covered aircaft where standard paint would crack off in a month, guess what, its still flexable after 5 years...

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
So am I wrong or not? lol I always thought it was part of the process and an additive to prevent chipping/cracking. For the life of the bumper of course.

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
i think it kinda boils down to the painter. i had my bumper painted about 3-4 times (cause i have the hook up like that) the first time i got it painted it was perfect for like a year until go in a flood forcing my lip to rip off my car making me run over it. well i got it repainted adn the painter who painted the lip wasnt the same guy adn he used the same thing and it chipped easily plus a barley bumped into a curb it spidered up. now im getting it repainted once again by the orginial guy. my brother had told me this painter paints really good and i have seen some of his work

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've been trained and certified to use DUPoNT paint products, which are also the offinial finish of NASCAR. I hear alot about PPG paints being great which they really arent. If you want a better product for the price (not too cheap) you should try DUPoNT, highly reccomended. Here are a few products from DUPoNT, and sourced infromation straight from the Low VOC Technical Manual.

Plastic Flexable Adhesion Sealer 2340S
2340S is part of a system of products designed to imporve adhesion, chip resistance and flexablitlty over semi-flexable and fully-flexable parts, and also over metal parts due to it's ability to absorb impact.

Pastic Flex-Additive 2350S
2350S is designed for Chromasystem undercoating. single-stage and clear coat products. 2350S is part if a system designed to improve the adheasion, chip resistance and flexability of ChromaSystem products over semi-flexable and fully-flexable plastics. (i.e. urathane)

Hope somebody finds this information useful. Or if anybody needs more info on DUPoNT products let me know.

·
Registered
669 Posts
integr97 on Feb/09/04 said:
I've been trained and certified to use DUPoNT paint products, which are also the offinial finish of NASCAR. I hear alot about PPG paints being great which they really arent. If you want a better product for the price (not too cheap) you should try DUPoNT, highly reccomended.
I have no problem with Dupont, in fact I used to use it, but it comes down to the painter's preference. Apples and oranges, both companies will say they are better but lets not turn this into a "who's better than who" thread and stay on topic which I believe has been answered.

Looks like both companies agree...

PPG DX 369 flexative

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Furious94LS on Feb/09/04 said:
Good so I was right
Yes Chris, you were right. I know you've been waiting to hear that.

Flexibilizer, like they said above keeps the paint from curing completely, it leaves it soft, just as an analogy, like jello or playdo. When something hits the paint, or when fiberglass or urethane bends the paint just kind of absorbs the impact because it is not 100% cured.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The hype still stands.

I could really care less if anyone believes me. I am just trying to say...My body guy (good friend) painted my car over the summer. I asked him about using flex for the body kit and he told me about the hype (explained it on page 1).

He uses PPG paint products and nothing but. Please tell me, why would he tell me this when he would end up making more money by having me use a flex additive? As far as DuPont's and PPG's websites telling you differently...hmmm, you wouldn't talk up your product? That's exactly what they are doing. If you say, "well they could get sued for false advertisment!" NOPE. By the time you trace your paint problems back, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY the manufacturer will get screwed. Most of the time it's the painter's fault. There are many processes leading up to the finishing product and many more things to go wrong.

For those of you who think PPG paint sucks...well let's see...I think Jngrbrdman said it best "The perfect detail is a process, not just a product" The same thing goes for painting. If you suck and painting, prep, wetsanding, etc... OF COURSE your paintjob will suck.

And you say flex keeps the paint soft? Well, that sucks anyways. Soft means it's more prone to swirls, scratches, and cob-webbing.

·
Registered
669 Posts
GSRstilez on Feb/09/04 said:
And you say flex keeps the paint soft? Well, that sucks anyways. Soft means it's more prone to swirls, scratches, and cob-webbing.
^^
That is the one intelligent thing you said. You don't use a flex agent on the whole car for that reason. You use it where the paint is prone to stone chips and flexing only.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts