Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dam this sat. my cousin called me out of the blue to go racing. So he pulls up to my house and still has his engine running. He wants to add some oil before we go so he pops the hood and oens the oil cap to add some more oil.

Clumsy him, spilled some oil on the burning hot header of his car and guess what happened??? Yup, the header caught on fire!!! Flames were growing on the header of his car. So I told him to get away. I was afraid that his car was going to explode!

I ran back to my house and get the front lawn water hose. Pull it all the way out and turned the water all the way up. Too bad it only goes to the middle of the street and not all the way to his car parked on the other side of the street. Luckily he was able to sprinkle some water from where he was standing onto the header to kill the flames.

In the meantime I grabbed a bucket and fill some water into it and tossed it into his engine compartment. We checked his engine and the flames were gone.

Dam that was scary! The next thing that he was worried about was his engine. He had just did a H22A swap into his lude and was upset that we might have accidentally sprayed some water into his engine since his oil cap was open during all this.

We let it cooled down for a while and start it up. It sounds fine and so we took it for a drive. It feels fine also. So we took it to the tracks, but didn't race it.

My question is, if motor oil is flamable just by getting into contact with hot metal, how come it doing catch fire when the motor oil is inside the engine?

I'm seriously thinking about getting a small fire extingisher for my car.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Lack of oxygen?

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
the cooling system.

It would be a good idea to change the oil since you probably did get water into it.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
not only that but since the oil is under pressure, the pressure raises the oils flammability point - if i remember my chem correctly.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Yup, combo of pressure, the fact that the inside of the block doesnt get as hot as the headers (radiant heat from cylinders VS. hot exhaust gas).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts