Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liebernoodle, His Turbo Beetle friend, and I went to the drag strip on friday.

The dragstrip is located in miland, which is pretty close to detroit, and there were five imports there including us. Other than the three of us, the slow cars were the Z28 camaro's. The rest of the cars were 12 second or lower old school, all motor muscle cars. Being the few non-domestic cars there, we got lots of strange looks... especially Jon who was sporting the beetle. (even though he got better times than us, he got more looks)

Overall it was pretty fun, got alot of runs in, and we mostly just raced each other. Not quite as fun as AutoX, but its easier to do and happens more often so I am sure I will do it many times more.

My best run was 15.885, which is better than stock so I was happy that the 1k or so I put into my car at least did something.

As you can see I had a 2.391 60' time, so there is room for improvement. No matter how hard I tried, I could never quite slip the clutch right. I would get ready, with the full intention of a nice slip of the clutch but end up dumping it and feathering after I got no traction.

The guy I raced in this was a Grand Caravan, which really puzzeled me. I figured it was going to be really fast (ala turbo van) and embarise me, or really slow. It turned out to be the later.

BTW, the track was a 600' , anyone know the formula to correct for elevation? I know its not going to do much but curious just the same :D

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
hey you did better than me and i went 3 times already!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
nice job style. i wish there was a strip closer to me.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
i never knew there was one in quaker city. thats only like 35-40 mins from me. have you ever been there?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice, in my 98 gsr w/ cold air all I could muster my first time out was a 16.4 at our local crappy track. that was with a 2.5 60'. Doh. I had the same problem as you though with dumping the clutch, then trying to feather it. haha. Anyways, hopefully i'll drop almost a second off the next time I go racing.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I ran a 15.68, best reaction time was .6, and 60' was 2.36 (in my stock GSR)

Now I've got the AEM CAI and I'll see if it make a small difference this coming Friday.

·
Registered
246 Posts
hootb I told you keystone is near greensburgh PA so that is like an hour and a half from you.....quaker city is real nice though

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heya John, welcome to team-integra. Thanks for the link :)

Those are some good tips, I think I need to calm down my launches too, they were all pretty rough. Can't wait to go again!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hey Style,

Here's something that might help you out.

My wife has found it best to launch her LS at approx. 3200 rpm. No feather...just drop the clutch. And before you other guys start laughing about my wife's driving just think about this...she runs a 15.4 in her LS with just a I/E/H.

Anyway when we race each other I will get my GSR up to about 3500-3800 rpm on launch and unless I get the hole shot on her she will get a better 60 ft. then I do all the time. Well that was before I put in an ACT clutch...but you get my point.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tip ski, sounds like its very effective. I dropped the clutch a few times (even though I intended to slip) and I got major wheel hop. Does she floor it as she dumps, or keep it at 3200 until she gets traction?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love it, my TB would get gummed up really quickly before. I cleaned it like once a month. Now, it looks just as good as the day I cleaned it.

Still gotta come up with a better way of mounting it though :\

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Style, that's cool. A few months back I was trying to get some info/input here at T-I about the Cusco and the Greddy oil catch can. Also, after measuring under my hood and the size of the various catch cans, i'm not sure where to mount the mofo. Is there any room?
Also, why'd you go with that brand over the Cusco or the Greddy?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its internally baffled, it big so I don't have to worry about it overflowing for a long time :D

It was also pretty cheap since I peiced together the kit myself.

Right now I have it mounted where the ABS would normaly be (but since I have an RS this is not a problem.) I working on designing a mounting bracket/brace but I have to do alot more measurements. I am thinking near the passanger side strut tower, but down low.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
applekat'll hit 15.9's up in palmdale(15.3 corrected for elevation).. a few more mods and a new clutch and we'll be in the 14's..

launch.. hm.. has something to do with launching at peak torque.. car shouldn't bog off the line.. my GsR i launch at 4700-5000.. tires should squeal.. but shouldn't hop.. my racer buddies launch their b16a's at 6000rpm.. a 15.8 is a great time.. and corrected for elevation.. impressive.. ur b18b would give me a run for the money..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Dump and floor...

I have watched her from the side and the wheels do hop some but not that much..she is grabbing by the time she gets to 2nd...scratches in 2nd and then all traction.

stock clutch by the way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts