Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the same principles in the Intake Manifold article apply to FI? As in depending on runner length will still define powerband, etc?

Reason i'm asking is, I'm wanting to turbocharge in the future, and looking for a powerband around 4k - 7500, though it seems on most setups, their dynos show the torque peaking a couple thousand before redline usually around the 5252 mark, then dropping off, so your decelerating basically, is this the case in most turbocharged vehicles, and is there ways to negate it to get a flatter torque curve once it hits peak, basically maintain it?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it is more than the IM that dictates where your powerband is. Granted, I believe that the runner length and such still function basically the same as if it were an N/A application.

But, even so, with either setup, the exhaust is just as important as the intake. A quality made and designed manifold mated with a good exhaust will also help that powerband. And probably one of the biggest key factors is the size of the turbo and the A/R of both the compressor and the exhaust sides of the turbo.

Hope that is something that is on the right track and can lead to further discussion...

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
torque can never be greater than horsepower after 5252 rpms, and they will always be the same value at 5252 rpms.

the reason is because horsepower is not a physical value, but rather a calculated number based on torque which is a measurable force.

the equation for horsepower is:

HP = torque x RPM

this may be why it appears that torque is "falling off" after 5252

this does not mean, however, that torque cannot increase past 5252 rpms, it just cannot be greater than the amount of horsepower at the same rpm > 5252.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.