Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be doing a valve adjustment on my 1998 GSR this weekend. I went to purchase a feeler gauge yesterday. Now, all I want to do, is make sure I brought the proper feeler gauge. The reason I ask is because some of the milimeter numbers don't match up. Here is a link to the gauge I brought from sears...

Click here to view feeler gauge

Here is a link to imagestation for the actual sizes on the package.

Click here to view sizes on package.

http://www.imagestation.com/member/...1961&bnak=1&rf=album&ru=/album/?id=4287581961

·
Registered
463 Posts
Dr_GSR on Feb/27/04 said:
I am going to be doing a valve adjustment on my 1998 GSR this weekend. I went to purchase a feeler gauge yesterday. Now, all I want to do, is make sure I brought the proper feeler gauge. The reason I ask is because some of the milimeter numbers don't match up. Here is a link to the gauge I brought from sears...

Click here to view feeler gauge

Here is a link to imagestation for the actual sizes on the package.

Click here to view sizes on package.

http://www.imagestation.com/member/...1961&bnak=1&rf=album&ru=/album/?id=4287581961
Your feeler gauge should be fine. It's easier to just use the standard values (inches) when doing the measuring.

The reason the standard/metric conversions in the article are not exact is because Honda bases their measurements in metric. The corresponding standard measurements are converted afterwards. In the Helms manual, they display the metric values first, then the corresponding standard values. The standard values are rounded off, so that's why the number do not match up with your feeler gauge chart.

example:
for B18C exhaust valve clearance,
EXHAUST: 0.007" - 0.008" (0.17mm - 0.21mm)

Converting 0.007" to mm is .1778 (.18mm)
Converting 0.008" to mm is .2032 (.20mm)

This does not match the article values...HOWEVER

Converting .17mm to inches is 0.0066929" (0.007")
Converting .21mm to inches is 0.0082677" (0.008")

Now it matches! The metric values are more accurate and the standard values are rounded off.

Your Craftsman feeler gauge bases their measurements in standard form first and then give corresponding metric values.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.