Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running the teg today on some backroads and hit just over 130 mph, when the dang sunroof glass was sucked out of the frame!!! I thought it was gonna be destroyed in a million pieces, but to my amazement, I found it in the ditch INTACT! Keep in mind, it sucked off the car at 130+ MPH!!

The adhesive seems very soft and mushy, and some is really liquid-like, it even strings out like mozzarella cheese when you touch it. Could this stuff be faulty in some way??

Anyone else hear of this happening, or have it happen to you??

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
one of the local guys had the same thing happen, but at a much lower speed...very strange. Maybe due to the heat that we have in the south...makes the adhesive weaker over time(after all, its been on there for 7-8 years now). Idk, but ive got an extra just in case.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
doglovindork on Feb/29/04 said:
you're pulling 130s all stock? should i be surprised?
No surprises here, Ive had it over 145 once, ran 120 on Texas Motor Speedway at one of the Charity runs.

BTW, yes the sunroof was closed at the time. But no matter whether I was doing 30 or 130, windows SHOULD NOT be blowing off this thing!!! Other than a radiator and clutch going out, this is the only other problem we've had with the car. A quite shocking one though.....

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
actually......mine did that about a yr ago...I was only going 90 down the interstate though....but it was really hot outside and the adhesive just gave up on it....I bought a hole new roof, but only used the glass part, from the import salvage yard for $100 and it only took about 20 mins to put the new one on. my guy at the salvage yard said that happens a lot and that he can barely keep those in stock....but then I had asked some of my customers at my store that had tegs and they never had it happen, and I have not personally come across anyone else that that has happened to until now....but yeah, it happened to me too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At least I know Im not the only one!!

I got the nasty mess of slimy sticky old sealant cleaned up, took two hours of scraping and cleaning with paint thinner to get it all off the glass and the frame. I straightened out the bent frame (took about 20 seconds, was easier to bend than I thought!) I then used a new tube of 3M Glass Lock adhesive on the inner seal, the frame, and the outer seal and set the glass in place, closed the sunroof, and pushed the glass down tight into the adhesive, and taped over it to the body and glass around the seal so it doesnt move until it sets.

The whole time I was thinking of how amazing it was to be putting in the same piece of glass that came off at 130mph!!

The patch to stay dry getting home from my parents house

The gaping hole I was greeted with when I crawled out of the car.

The tough MF'er piece of glass.

All the old sealant cleaned off and ready to install.

Everything pookied up again and in place, with some tape holding it steady until the adhesive cures fully.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
looks like you're doing a good job there, just be patient w/the drying....mine had shattered, but was still kinda in tact, so i kept it to put over the hole when i parked until i got my new one...let me know how that adhesive works in case it happens again to me but the glass doesnt break!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Holy heck! That would have scared the living crap out of me!

I had a kid drop a rock on my moonroof from a bridge and crack the living crud out of it. But when I took it off it was connected via bolts to a rail. How does the sunroof take off from that rail? Did the bolts shear or something?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sabotage on Mar/01/04 said:
looks like you're doing a good job there, just be patient w/the drying....mine had shattered, but was still kinda in tact, so i kept it to put over the hole when i parked until i got my new one...let me know how that adhesive works in case it happens again to me but the glass doesnt break!
Its cured on the outside pretty good, but its still soft inside. I had a piece of the application spout full of the sealant so I could see how deep it dried in a day by that. I imagein three good days to fully cure all the way through.

In case you want to know, the adhesive I used was 3M Windo-Weld Super Fast Urethane Part Number 051135-08609, from O'Reilley's Auto Parts for about 14 bucks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ThePro on Mar/01/04 said:
How does the sunroof take off from that rail? Did the bolts shear or something?
The sunroof glass itself was sucked off the frame that its glued to. I was left with nothing but a round metal frame that opened and closed fine, with no glass in it. There are no bolts or clips or anything other than sealant holding the glass on

·
Registered
280 Posts
im not surprised that they do that cause they look awsome and stuff but they produce incredible amounts or drag and preasure while you go fast. They should have put the kind that goes back into the roof.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ajinct on Mar/01/04 said:
im not surprised that they do that cause they look awsome and stuff but they produce incredible amounts or drag and preasure while you go fast. They should have put the kind that goes back into the roof.
maybe so, but it was closed at the time the glass was sucked off the top of the car. I never run the car at high speed with the sunroof opened.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.