Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 1 Tues. Feb 7 Times:

AP said:
Sandwiched between the two Williams' were Honda duo Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello, the Englishman around four tenths up on his team-mate, who incidentally managed 112 laps, the most of any one runner on track.

1. Alex Wurz Williams-Cosworth 1m 18.144s 48 laps B *

2. Jenson Button Honda-Honda 1m 18.250s 88 laps M *

3. Rubens Barrichello Honda-Honda 1m 18.626s 112 laps M *

4. Nico Rosberg Williams-Cosworth 1m 18.735s 84 laps B *
5. Ricardo Zonta Toyota-Toyota 1m 20.162s 85 laps B *
6. Olivier Panis Toyota-Toyota 1m 20.339s 79 laps B *
7. Christijan Albers Midland MF1 Toyota 1m 21.551s 74 laps B *
8. Tiago Monteiro Midland MF1-Toyota 1m 22.318s 71 laps B #

[M denotes Michelin tyres / B denotes Bridgestone tyres / * denotes 2006 car.]

Day 2 Feb 8. Times:

Quote:
Jenson Button again proved to be best of the rest (behind the top time set by Alonso in the R26 Renault) and, having taken second fastest time to Williams' Alex Wurz on Tuesday, repeated the feat for Honda on day two, out-pacing the best of the McLarens, as well as new team-mate Rubens Barrichello.

In the original RA106 chassis, Button completed a tyre evaluation programme for Michelin, running 17 laps in the morning session and a further 41 laps after lunch. Barrichello, meanwhile, worked through a chassis set-up programme in chassis 02, completing just one more lap than his team-mate.

Fernando Alonso Renault-Renault 1m 16.955s 91 laps

Jenson Button Honda-Honda 1m 17.113s 58 laps

Juan Pablo Montoya McLaren-Mercedes 1m 17.263s 53 laps
Pedro de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes 1m 17.429s 111 laps

Rubens Barrichello Honda-Honda 1m 17.506s 59 laps

Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 1m 17.589s 114 laps
Jacques Villeneuve BMW Sauber 1m 18.059s 95 laps
Mark Webber Williams-Cosworth 1m 18.264s 87 laps*
Heikki Kovalainen Renault-Renault 1m 18.944s 76 laps
Jarno Trulli Toyota-Toyota 1m 19.431s 102 laps*
Ralf Schumacher Toyota-Toyota 1m 19.685s 86 laps*
Nico Rosberg Williams-Cosworth 1m 19.971s 31 laps*
Tiago Monteiro Midland-Toyota 1m 21.906s 30 laps*

Day 3 Thurs Feb 9 Times:

Quote: AP
Honda dropped down to a single car for the final day of the test, with Jenson Button at the wheel of the lone RA106. The Brit completed set-up runs early in the morning (concentrating on set-up and component evaluation) before his focus switched to tyre evaluation over long runs during the afternoon session. He completed a total of 119 laps, running the V8 engine in chassis RA106-02 to its target mileage.

"We've had two great days for putting mileage on the car, covering 139 laps on the first day and 119 laps today," he said. "There have been a few small issues over the test but we have solved these today. It's been good to get so many laps in before the Bahrain test next week which will probably be the most important test of the year for us. "

That four day test in Bahrain will give the team chance to work in warmer climates before the season kicks off in the Middle East next month.

1. Pedro de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes 1m 17.451s 123 laps #
2. Giancarlo Fisichella Renault-Renault 1m 17.479s 76 laps
3. Mark Webber Williams-Cosworth 1m 17.767s 104 laps*

4. Jenson Button Honda-Honda 1m 17.990s 118 laps

5. Jacques Villeneuve BMW Sauber 1m 18.179s 75 laps
6. Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 1m 18.278s 63 laps
7. Heikki Kovalainen Renault-Renault 1m 18.542s 45 laps
8. Nico Rosberg Williams-Cosworth 1m 18.843s 60 laps*
9. Kimi Raikkonen McLaren-Mercedes 1m 18.929s 40 laps
10. Jarno Trulli Toyota-Toyota 1m 19.083s 103 laps*
11. Ralf Schumacher Toyota-Toyota 1m 19.320s 107 laps*
12. Vitantonio Liuzzi Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1m 19.394s 79 laps
13. Christijan Albers Midland-Toyota 1m 20.685s 90 laps*
14. Tiago Monteiro Midland-Toyota 1m 20.922s 63 laps* #

[* denotes Bridgestone tyres - all others on Michelin; # denotes 2005/interim car]

Quote: hondaracingf1.com
The Honda Racing F1 Team moved its testing programme to Jerez in Southern Spain this week as preparations gather pace for the new season.

Race drivers Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello were at the wheel of two RA106s and again demonstrated the early strength of the new package.

Rubens and Jenson began the test on Tuesday and spent the morning session setting up their respective cars. In the afternoon, Rubens completed a race simulation exercise, whilst Jenson ran through a tyre programme over longer runs, together with an aero evaluation. Rubens completed 114 laps setting the third fastest time of the day, with Jenson totalling 139 laps and setting the second fastest time.

Rubens ran through a chassis set-up programme on Wednesday completing 60 laps. Jenson began the day with a tyre evaluation. Following an early engine change due to an electrical problem, he continued the tyre programme in the afternoon session to complete a total of 58 laps, once again setting the second fastest time of the day.

The test programme continued on Thursday with one car. Jenson changed to chassis RA106-02 and began with some early set-up runs before completing a tyre evaluation over long runs during the afternoon session. He completed a total of 119 laps today, running the V8 engine in chassis RA106-02 to its target mileage.

The team will now move to Bahrain where they intend to take advantage of the warmer climate to complete a valuable four-day test at the Bahrain International Circuit which will host the season-opening race in just over four weeks time.

Rubens Barrichello – Fastest lap: 01:17.503 (Wednesday)

“Following an encouraging start to the week on Wednesday with a lot of laps completed, we had a more difficult second day on Thursday. I had some issues with the brakes which cost track time. We were still able to complete a good set-up programme though which is something I need to continue working on over the next couple of tests. Looking at the test overall, Jenson has had some positive running and our pace seems competitive so I think the signs are very encouraging.”

Jenson Button – Fastest lap: 01:17.106 (Wednesday)

“We’ve had two great days for putting mileage on the car, covering 139 laps on the first day and 119 laps today. There have been a few small issues over the test but we have solved these today. It’s been good to get so many laps in before the Bahrain test next week which will probably be the most important test of the year for us. “

Mark Ellis, Chief Engineer Vehicle Performance

“Despite a difficult day on Wednesday, this has been another positive test for us. The pace of the RA106 has again been very encouraging and the car has been extremely reliable despite a couple of small issues. We are looking forward to next week’s four-day test in Bahrain where we can fully evaluate the latest tyre developments from Michelin in realistic conditions and start our real preparations for the opening races.”

Shuhei Nakamoto, Engineering Director, Honda Racing Development

“We have had some issues with the engine this week so we need to keep focusing on the reliability. We will have some new improvements next week on the engine that we will be running in Bahrain. Overall we are in good shape.”

wow, honda engine is behind the Renault and Cosworth in preseason? any truth to this or are they lowballing it?

Quote: GMM Although impressive on the test timesheets this winter, reports have identified Honda's V8 engine as a weak point of the RA106 package.

At Jerez on Thursday, Jenson Button continued the trend of recent track sessions, getting his off-white 2006 racer to within a few tenths of the leading Renault.

But Honda's engineering director, Shuhei Nakamoto, admitted in Spain that the Japanese element of the team has identified 'some issues' with the RA806E power plant this week.

"Overall we are in good shape," he said. "We will have some new improvements on the engine next week that we will be running in Bahrain."

Industry analysts believe that Renault has probably done the best job with its 90-degree V8 for 2006, although Cosworth's engine - mounted in the FW28 Williams - is also so far surpassing expectations.

looks like they were doing engine mileage work and tire testing this time around at Jerez.

They had a "few small issues" for both drivers. rubino identified brakes. Wonder what Jenson's were?

Rubino was about 4 tenths down on Jensey on both days.

It may be that the endurance reliability trade-off has dropped the power level down from the competition's motors.

Nevertheless they're within 2 tenths of the best times (fuel load unbeknownst to us) which means they're consistently up there with the others competitiveness-wise.

The Williams-Cosworth is looking pretty strong as does the Renault and Mercedes which are expected.

It's looking like a 4 team battle for the top 3 podium spots this year (Honda, Williams, Renault, Mercedes, with the wild cards being the Ferrari 248 and BMW-Sauber ...all factory teams I might add) and they look to be pretty close.

Compare these times to the Jerez test times in Dec 2005 & Jan 2006 to see the progress of the RA106's development keeping in mind the ambient and track temp differences.

4 days in Bahrain for the 8th preseason test session next week!: Bahrain is the site of this season's first GP next month...wow I can't believe I said that...26 days until the season's first practice-qualifying session!

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
considering the previous best Jerez times in the RA106 were

2nd preseason test :1 min 18.953

3rd preseason test : 1 min. 19.084

4th preseason test : 1 min 18.398

this week's 1 min 17.113 is major progress in development (mechanical grip-tire wise), again bearing in mind that other teams have progressed as well relatively speaking and the warmer track temps.

and they think they're down on power to the Renault !!

I don't think that'll last very long.

·
Registered
675 Posts
If my memory is correct, Jenson was always pretty quick qualifying, but once the race started it was all downhill. Rubens on the other hand usually moved forward in the pack...
Anyways, I love the new BAR team, but I have some questions...Is Rubens the "#2 driver"?
Also, does Cosworth design their F1 engines themselves?
And Is Alex Wurz the former test driver for McClaren?
Im just now getting into the F1 mood so im rusty...
I am also looking forward to the Honda powered SA, maybe their moving chicanes can help BAR gain some position. hehe
Cody

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nobody has been established as #1 or #2 yet...way too early.

I think when there's a clear distinction as to who is ahead in the points and challenging for the rankings that you'll begin to see a distinction.

yes Cosworth in the UK is doing the development, not the US branch from what I gather.

Wurz is Williams' tester now.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This year I'm trying to title the threads here so that you as a fan can monitor the RA106's progress in development.

I'm entitling the test session sequence number and the track where the testing occurred to make it searchable for you. I'm using the "F1 Honda 2006" format in the title and the track and you can use those for search terms..

The only thing I haven't done unfortunately is list ambient/track temp. thus far.

As you can see in my link above, this keeps the testing sessions in a searchable format for comparative purposes.

We can easily keep track of the times and the progress.

This year for example, they're running the Spanish GP on May 14 at Catalunya and we already have had 2 Catalunya test sessions from which to compare the track times before they go into practice/qualifying and see if they're up to speed or better compared to testing on the race setup.

So at least we'll have some pre-race probabilities to base our judgement of how well they'll do.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
this is for GREENGSR aka Cody FYI :

linked here on Williams Cosworth formerly BMW pre2006

"So the 2006 regulations, which have defined the development of the FW28, represent in many ways one of the occasional opportunities that come knocking on an engineering department’s door, presenting a step change in a number of key design areas, which in turn promises a rich, rewarding and unpredictable season in prospect.

Clearly the biggest transition is the shift away from 3.0l v10 motive power in favour of 2.4l v8, and in Williams’ case, the new partnership with Cosworth. With the associated power losses all teams will encounter, everyone is facing a demand for higher aerodynamic efficiency to help compensate. In the case of the FW28, this became a fundamental design parameter for the car and is reflected in many ways across the aerodynamic strategy of the car, visible particularly in the design of the rear wing with its decambered tips. The target here was to maintain downforce while shedding drag at the wing tips. Additionally, a tall sidepod concept was adopted which allowed an even larger undercut and therefore smooth and efficient air flow to the rear of the car."

Read more here http://www.williamsf1.com/fw28.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.