Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently noticed that when it's windy my car tends to be thrown from side to side and slows down alot.I know this is probably normal but i have never felt this in any other car except in my G2.This car be very dangerous in the rain as i once learned after i spun out into a ditch.Is it the weight of the G2 that causes this? or this related to the suspension in any way? The wind does not even have to be viciously stong most times just a quick gust will throw it off.If anyone needs to know what mods have been done to my car to better judge this problem feel free to look in my profile.I am missing some tire weights as well maybe this plays a role in my dilemma as well.Plz post any information!

-CJ

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like i said tho it's only in my g2 which is weird.I drive my brothers 2001 Civic, My dads 98'pathfinder,an my friends cars (GTI,CRX,si HB) and nothing in theirs unless the winds are viscious which of course is understandable.But even on summer days when a quick gust hits i change lanes unwillingly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is very important to have the tires balanced. The tires run smoothly on the pavement giving the best grip. If you lose a weight it causes the tire to bounce which will lessen the grip on the road.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ditto on Feb/15/04 said:
It is very important to have the tires balanced. The tires run smoothly on the pavement giving the best grip. If you lose a weight it causes the tire to bounce which will lessen the grip on the road.
Wheel weights, or loss of, will not cause your tires to "bounce" to the point of losing traction, it will vibrate but not bounce. You need to get under your car and go through the suspension and make sure the bushings are in good shape, tie rod ends are good, steering rack is tight, nothing bent (since you said that you spun out into a ditch), Shocks aren't blown, wheel bearings are good, etc. This goes for the front and the rear. After everything checks out get a good 4 wheel alignment. You might also try changing tires. Some tires have problems with straight line stability or can be defective which will cause handling issues. My girls G2 and my DC2 both handle cross winds well which leads me to believe it is a failure of parts on your car. Good luck!

·
Registered
411 Posts
It may be from the height (or lack) of the vehicle. When I was in Idaho there were lots of cross winds. I had a CRX at the time that was dropped to about 3.5 inches from the ground. I raised it back to stock during the winter and it no longer had the crosswind issue. I think it got better because it was letting more air under the car then trying to go through/over the car.

flip.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Man, I had a G2 for a couple of years and used to drive alot in the Rockies in British Columbia and never had any probs with wind. I'm thinkin' you need new tires. Check the "toe" of your alignment. If you have "toe out" your car will be very darty and unstable.
Good luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
flipsoft on Feb/15/04 said:
It may be from the height (or lack) of the vehicle. When I was in Idaho there were lots of cross winds. I had a CRX at the time that was dropped to about 3.5 inches from the ground. I raised it back to stock during the winter and it no longer had the crosswind issue. I think it got better because it was letting more air under the car then trying to go through/over the car.

flip.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
car height, light car weight, and narrow wheel width.

I think first of all our car is pretty high, so the wind going under our car have the force ot lifting it up.
Our car is light, so it might easily get blown off... i found my car to be more stable when my tank is full. Finally, our wheel, i think it is 14"x6"? I am sure getting some 15"x6.5" or 16"x7" then drop it an inch would solve this swaying problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.