Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, after lookin through the exhaust article i still have a couple questions. from the article it says
"2-1/4" up to 210HP @ the flywheel (about 180-185 whp)

2-3/8" (60mm) up to 235HP @ the flywheel (about 200-207 whp)

2-1/2" up to 265HP @ the flywheel (about 225-235 whp)"

for my car i plan on doin intake, header back exahust, cams, high flow cat, maybe something else but thats bout it...maybe nitrous in the LOOOoNG run. i know that the header for the 2.375 system would have a 2 inch collector so it would be goin from 2 -> 2.375 somewhere along the line and for the 2.5 inch header, it would just be 2.5 the entire length. so heres my question: i know that 2.25 and 2.375 exhaust is adequate for just boltons, would i be missin out on anything if i didnt do the 2.5 header back exhaust? would it just be overkill? but also at the same time i dont want to choke the motor. can someone please clarify this a little more for me?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
danteisme on Apr/05/04 said:
so heres my question:...would i be missin out on anything if i didnt do the 2.5 header back exhaust?

would it just be overkill? but also at the same time i dont want to choke the motor. can someone please clarify this a little more for me?
for a GSR with upgraded cams and i/h/c/e +/- nitrous , you'll kick yourself for not getting a 2.5 in. system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
that’s very interesting to read...
I have a similar question.. I have a 99 Integra gsr and have it on type R pistons, Type R Intake manifold. cold air intake. stage 2 clutch and flywheel kit..

and have a oem Type R header I want to put on that has a 2.5 collector along with the header I want to get a custom exhaust from the header all the way to the stock muffler “nothing in-between” I know the stock muffler is very restrictive but really quiet and sleeper looking for the cops....
that is why I’m not sure what would be the best size piping to go with...any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
wait so is it a bad idea to run 2.5 inch a catback? if so im screwed ive got a 4-1 header test pipe and full 2.5 inch catback

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
echelonwarrior on May/30/09 said:
wait so is it a bad idea to run 2.5 inch a catback? if so im screwed ive got a 4-1 header test pipe and full 2.5 inch catback
This will be on the larger scale for the typical stockish engine setup, but you should be fine. Running a testpipe is illegal and a bad idea IMO. A quality high flow cat. converter posts negligible loses when compared to a testpipe.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
the test pipe is only illegal in some states... in florida were fine

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
echelonwarrior on May/31/09 said:
the test pipe is only illegal in some states... in florida were fine
Well, you should run a cat. converter anyway. IMO, I would rather sacrifice 3-5 hp and know that I am not emitting NO2 into the air. Just CO2 and water with a cat. NO2, CO2, Water and other chemicals without a cat, which causes Ozone to break down in the Stratosphere, and Ozone to form as a haze over cities. Stratospheric ozone is good, but smog is bad. Lol. Science lesson for the day! But anyway, I think high flow catalytic converters offer much more pros than cons, when comparing it to a test pipe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
its a 98 spek jdm type r 4-1 header with a 2.5'' collector...
you are right coolhandluke i will take in consideration the high flo cat..
but im sorry what are you sugesting 2.36 or 2.5..and what are your thoughts on the stock muffler??

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
you guys picked the right place to ask questions... these guys know everything there is to know about our tegs. props for good knowledge guys

·
Registered
719 Posts
Tired of reading about people wanting to pollute the air. Import Tuner has a couple articles with graphs and pictures about running a car without a Cat and what not. Heres the Link. -Aaron

·
Banned
233 Posts
SORRY for the dead thread, but obviously im doing research.

I have a chance to get a universal HKS tip and all the pipe i need welded and mandrel bent. (for CHEAP!)
Im really curious as to what would be a good setup. I havent been able to find many answers, mainly arguments or disagreements.

I HAVE to buy a hi flow cat to show emissions i have spent 300+ on emission realted items(will mean im exempt and wont fail due to my CEL. which is a secondary o2 sensor. and ive replaced both!)

I have a STOCK GSR...Question is:
-Should i keep the hi flow cat on and build a cat back from there?
-Should i keep the cat off and weld a flange right to the headers, hence creating a header back exhaust. I would bend all the piping to sit where the stock one sits now.
-Would it sound like crap? would any gains/losses be noticable?

ANy insight is much appreciated yall!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Im running 2.5 piping magnaflow cat n apexi muffler.........the throttle response is amazin........i fllored past some dumass not knowing where he wants to turn.......and it flew faster than i thought it would.......just an intake,fressh oil,throttle cable adjustment,throttle body cleaning,shes almost burning tires lol........but i would go 2.5 some say to big but as everyone on here we are nevver done modifying our cars........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts