Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an exhaust rattle right around 3k rpms. It sounds like a buzzing noise. I thought it was my heat shields but the dealership said it wasn't... I took it to the dealership and they said i need a new exhaust manifold. 500.00 part,400.00 labor. Or they said i could just put headers on it and that would fix the problem. Has any1 had this same problem and what did they do to fix it?
thanks

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Check your header bracket. Mine broke in half and was causing that same rattling. This is what mine looked like after I pulled it off.

Don't buy anything until you know for sure what the noise is. Nothing sucks worse than to get something done to fix a problem only to find out nothing was affected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have a 96 GSR and I had the same problem. My car would rattle between 3,000 and 3,500. I got DC Sport 4-2-1 headers and it has not rattled since. So get some headers and the problem will be gone.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem on my 94 GSR. They say it is caused by a weld splitting where the header tubes come together.
I plan to install a DC Sport 4-1 header to solve the problem.

They are ripping you off for parts, and labor.

An aftermarket header is only $400.00 or so, and I had a tech offer to install on his own time for $40.00.

Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
For those of you having this problem, also check the clamps and bracket on your muffler if you have a performance exhaust. I occasionally have this problem with mine, and I just put a wire tie around it to tighten it...

·
Registered
20 Posts
It sounds like most of you are on the right path. Instead of paying someone to do the work for you though, you should read up on some of the tech articles and do the work yourself. You will get more satisfaction out of it that way, and save your wallet.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Airmass Warlock cat back exhaust... STILL had rattle... pissed... Punched CAT... STILL had rattle... pissed... Made my own pipe with 2 1/4 ehxaust and mig'ed the STOCK flanges on it to make it match my 2 1/4 exhaust (basically a cat but with nothing but a straight pipe heheheh) and STILL have rattle... Hopin like u awesome people are sayin.. headers... my only hope...

·
Registered
607 Posts
In my case, the gasket between the header, and cat was shot... Replaced my header, in the process replaced that shot gasket, and BINGO! no more rattles!

Phil

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I got the same problem right now and i'm thinking it's the gasket in between the header and the...(no cat)...rest of the piping. not sure though.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I had the same problem. The factory header rattled (almost sounded like a muffled grinding sound) between 3k and 3.5k rpms. I started replacing every exhaust compontent until I got to the header. I payed 400 for my 4-1 and $40 labor to have a speedshop put it on. Don't let Acura charge you $400 for labor, that is crazy! And you can get a much better header than factory for less than $500!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the same problem. Mine rattles between 3k and 4k. So im solving it this weekend. DC sports 4-1 header, and a Apexi N1 system. A new O2 sensor, maybe a test pipe. HE HE HE. Im lucky because CT's emissions testing system has been shut down until the fall. So NO EMISSIoNS!!! YAY!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a 95 SE and it had the same problem. Turns out a weld on the heat sheiled of my cat came undone. I just got under there and rewelded it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
mine started to rattle right after i put my GReddy Evo exhaust on, but it turned out that there was a hanger on the underside of my car that was rattling against the hanger on the muffler. I cut it off and now there is no more rattle.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
just because the car has a little rattle doesnt mean that its the header. come on that would be crazy. mine had a rattle right around 3k and when i got my exhaust put on it went away. i think mine was just hte gasket that goes between the exhaust/cat. it could be something as simple as that.

·
Registered
791 Posts
shhh, gotta give my wife an excuse, imean reason, to get this stuff. didn't get the ITR suspension 'til the stock struts were blown (took over 2 years!)

·
Registered
198 Posts
goodguygrady on Apr/26/03 said:
shhh, gotta give my wife an excuse, imean reason, to get this stuff. didn't get the ITR suspension 'til the stock struts were blown (took over 2 years!)
I use that excuse all the time now with my teg. LOL When i had my Si, everything was new so i really couldnt play the " I NEED it, because its broken" card.
Now that i have my 95 GSR, all i say is "hmmmm i need coilov.....cough......umm....shocks. Thier blown." LOL
Then i whip out the charge card.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts