Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to ask I know this topic has been covered about a million times but.......

I have a '98 'Teg Type R, I am looking at removing the cat and opening up the 'b' pipe flang. All of the info I could find referred to removing the cat on 'normal' Tegs. like GSR's. The exhaust on the 'R is 2 1/4" with the main restrictions being the 'b' pipe flang and the cat from what i understand.

Can anyone confirm if this is worth doing? I am likely to see any power gains?

Sorry to ask about this topic again, I looked at the articles and did a search but could't find info on cat removal on the Type R.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Apologizing for asking a question? Wow...

I think a highflow cat would work just as well as removing the cat, but it won't be annoyingly loud. Of course, removing the cat is a lot cheaper. Over here, removing the cat is illegal in my state. I guess it's ok over there?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to put it back on once each year for my MOT inspection.

I was going to replace it with a section of 2 1/2" stainless, any ideas if this will be worth doing?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the article on the SMSP adapter when I searched earlier but I couldn't find any info on removing the cat.

I wait in hope that someone who has done this already reads this thread and replies.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
It would be useless to put a 2.5" test pipe between the stock 2.0" header and 2.25" exhaust if that's what you're asking.

I'd suggest waiting until you get a bigger JDM-model header before you do this. It would just be a waste otherwise. A test pipes wouldn't offer any advantage over a high flow cat in your case.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Has there been any dyno tests before and after removing the bottleneck at the B pipe flange? I have been wanting to do this, BUT I have not seen anything to prove it is worth it. Obviousy in theory it sounds like it would make a difference. But I would like to see proof.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
SurferX on Sep/18/02 said:
I believe SMSP dynoed a couple HP increase after removing the b-pipe bottleneck flange on the Type R exhaust but that could have been with using a larger header and cat I'm not sure. You should email Dave (member SMSP on this site) and ask for specifics.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I know my stock UK model Integra has a 2 1/4" header, the only reason i'm using 2 1/2" tube is because it's what i've got lying around plus it allows me to remove the bottleneck.

P.s surely changing the cat. to a straight through will have some sort of effect? It will reduce the back-presure for sure I would have thought and also a change in volume of air needed to be shifted to obtain the required flow rate. (Just my thoughts as a Honda Uk Project Engineer.)

I've emailed Dave and I am awiating a reply.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
A straight pipe won't outperform a good high flow cat. It may outperform the stock cat though, I just don't like straight pipes in general, I must be a tree hugger or something. They activate the CEL and make the car smell bad, I just don't like to put up with junk like that if I don't have to.

Blue=Carsound cat
Red=Straight pipe

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I just wanted to clear a few things up in my head:

1. Is there a pipe between the header and the cat? I know thats a dumb question but i really don't know. What i mean is if i got aftermarket header and a testpipe is there anymore piping needed?

2. What does it mean to activate cel?

3. Is there a gas mileage difference between using a cat or a test pipe?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi flow cats are very hard to find and expensive in the UK, i've never had problems of cars smelling bad that have had the cats removed, most people I know say cars with cats smell bad untill they are up to temp.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
there is no pipe between the cat and the header. just the flanges that join them.

cel = check engine light

I don't know the answer to the last question

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
TypeR03280 on Sep/18/02 said:
most people I know say cars with cats smell bad untill they are up to temp.
That is some sort of urban myth......the smell the same as stock no matter what the operating temp is.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you can defeat the check engine light with a bit of very simple electronics, as it happens my car only has one lambda sensor so I don't need to do this.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I'd use a smaller pipe between the header and exhaust either way. Stepping back down to 2.25" is going to choke it off and create turbulence. I'd get a 2.25" pipe if you are going to stay with the stock header-exhaust. Or if you want to really unleash it go all out with a 2.5" header-exhaust system. Everyone I've seen dynoed with full 2.5" systems on stock Type R motors have made around 180whp.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hehe, i may sound like Jackson Racing freak, but they do make a good hi flow catalyst from what i've heard for around 300 bucks or less.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah but in the states there are loads of good cheap high flow cats but we don't have that in the UK. All of the US companies that i've mailed about supplying a cat to the UK have failed to respond.

I know what your saying about ideally 2.25" would be best but the peice of pipe I have lying about is 2.5", don't want to buy a new piece if no need.

Yes replacing the whole system would be nice but from what I understand most aftermarket exhausts bottleneck down in the 'B' pipe just like the OEM exhaust, that being so I would have thought my 2.25" minimum diameter must be better than the 2" bottleneck of the stock setup?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
For the bottleneck some do and some don't. If they do then that's where SMSP's flange comes in. Dave showed us this awhile ago, the difference between a true 2.5" flange and the b-pipe flange on the stock Type R exhaust. I believe the bottleneck on the exhaust is 2.0". Ouch.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts