Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put on my greddy evo2 cat back yesterday and I can rev it a lil (not past 3000) and itll rev, then have a little after rattle. When I drive it does the same but if I rev it a ton while sitting itll rattle at the same time. Inside the car it's super loud. Know what it could be rubbin on or is something inside the muffler? already took cat heatshield off from rattles awhile back. and it didnt rattle like this when I had on my stock exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Make certain it is not your catalytic converter heatshield.

Also make sure that you aren't rubbing somewhere on the chassis with the exhaust.

Also check for exhaust leaks by just running your hand along the length of the exhaust while the car is running...you will feel air escaping if you have a leak.

·
Registered
716 Posts
i had this problem. make sure the exhaust is tight as hell when hooked up to the cat..... i found out by putting the car up on jacks and going under and having my little cousin rev it for me lol

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
There are a lot of heat shields under there. Pinpoint where it's coming from by having a friend rev the car up and hold the throttle where its rattling while you track it down (be safe!).

There's an exhaust manifold heat shield, one around the cat (which comes loose a lot, I just ripped mine off), one bolted to the chassis above the mid-pipe right past the cat, and another bolted to the chassis above the resonator in the midpipe (again, past the cat).

And those are just the ones that you definitely still have on your car. There's one above the muffler in the stock exhaust system, and one right before the resonator as well.

If it's the cat heat shield (which i'm going to bank on). You have a few options:

-Grab some large heavy duty hose clamps at the hardware store and tighten them around the cat to shut the heat shield up.

-Rip the thing off. Be advised that the O2 sensors go *through* the top part of the heat shield, and they're pretty tough to get off. When I ripped my heat shield off, I opted to use a cutting wheel to sheer the bolts off and slice right through the top heat shield to get it past the O2 sensors. It was easier than trying to fight with both sensors.

The shields that are bolted to the body of the car aren't as easy to remove because the exhaust pipes block most of the bolts you need to take out to get them off the car. The exhaust manifold shield just plain rattles, I haven't figured out a fix for that, and i'm afraid to take that one off and melt my fans or wiring.

Hope that helps.

-Nick

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
integra_boy94 on May/12/07 said:
man it's just your exhaust tip hitting your rear bumper its doing the same thing to me and i have skunk2 catback
not really, the bumper is abs plastic, and the muffler is metal, wouldn't really create a metal sounding rattle, plus after about two hours of driving, the tip of the muffler melts the plastic around it enough to form a little 'mold' in the plastic, at least mine did when i put on my skunk2

·
Registered
127 Posts
if its after a certain RPM, i would suggest checking for an exhaust leak. Could be small and overlooked during the install.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
If you remove the Heatsheild You can replace it with Heat Barrier Tape... It is Made with Carbon Fiber and an aluminum like shiny tape...

This will shield Heat up to 1600 degrees Keeps the Shifter from heating Up and also keeps the Heat from coming into the CABIN

·
Registered
928 Posts
ZodiacR279 has a good idea. For me its the same thing and its my Cat. I have a replacement right now, Magnaflow Cat, but to lazy to install it. I hate that little rattle also and I have had it for some time now. With my Holly Thunder Muff Catback I cant hear it as much but its still there. I know this has been discussed so many times already though.

Have someone help you by reving your engine while you are down there. As always make sure you use jack stands or a lift to check it out. You should be able to tell where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here's one for you guys, on my car the rattle happens at about 2500 rpm, it's coming from the cat/header joint (where the spring kits are). I have no heat shields at all, and a high-flow cat. If I use a spring kit on the flanges, rattle, if I use staight bolts, no rattle. But with no spring kits the exhaust can't flex and you can break the header. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
626 Posts
rayzah_blade on May/12/07 said:
Quote: integra_boy94 on May/12/07man it's just your exhaust tip hitting your rear bumper its doing the same thing to me and i have skunk2 catback

not really, the bumper is abs plastic, and the muffler is metal, wouldn't really create a metal sounding rattle, plus after about two hours of driving, the tip of the muffler melts the plastic around it enough to form a little 'mold' in the plastic, at least mine did when i put on my skunk2
lol um yeah it can make a nasty noise hitting ur bumper my hks hit and made the worst noise ever. then i had a guy adjust the hangers and the problem went away. on another note if that exhaust hits the shields its horrible to my 93 DA had a thermal R&D exhaust and it was for a 90 to 91 some how shorter so it hit all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's one for you guys, on my car the rattle happens at about 2500 rpm, it's coming from the cat/header joint (where the spring kits are). I have no heat shields at all, and a high-flow cat. If I use a spring kit on the flanges, rattle, if I use staight bolts, no rattle. But with no spring kits the exhaust can't flex and you can break the header. Any suggestions?
depending on your welding skills and what you prefer you could buy a flex pipe and weld it in, mine cost $35 from a local muffler shop... or buy new springs, washers, bolts ect. what it might be is that gasket has worn out and you need to replace it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
14 Participants
SCORCH_7
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing