Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

As I mentioned before, I recently purchased a used 2000 Integra GS (Auto) with 13,000 miles on it. Well I've owned it for approximately 1 month, and I've been tracking the mileage......

I'm averaging only 10-12 mpg in the city, and 15-17 mpg on the highway. I've owned Honda's all my life and I've never had mileage this bad....I should be getting double that.

The only thing I've changed so far is the oil. I went from whatever was in it to full synthetic.

SUGGESTIoNS PLEASE!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
with my screwed up cat and secondary o2 sensor, I still get between 17-22.. try resetting the ecu (remove negative cable for about 5 minutes) see if that helps?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Try doing a routine maintenance on the car. Change the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, aif filter, and fuel filter. I did all that to my 94 GSR that had 144k miles on it when i bought it. First month i got it, it only averaged 16-17mpg. Now its a bit better after i changed all of the above to 22-24mpg.

I know you car only has 13k miles on it. Maybe the previous owner did not take proper care with the maintenance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah buts in a Honda!.... How much "proper maintenance" does it need with only 13k on it??!! :).

I'm going to try resetting the ECU using the instructions on this site. (Unplugging the fuses).

Is it even possible for the fuel filter to have clogged/faulty with such low mileage?

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
You might have a leak.

·
Registered
654 Posts
actually, the recommended interval for fuel filter change is 20000 miles, if i remember correctly. Maybe the place that you live at has crappy gas. Or worse yet, what octane gas are you running? I've heard that lower octane gas gives you worse mileage since its more diluted than premium, which burns more efficiently. A long time ago, for testing purposes, I used both for comparisons within a one week period. Decided I was gonna visit my brother in Rhode Island so I put it to the test. I used 87 going there and 93 coming back. Now mind you, this is highway miles so city driving will be lower. on the way to my bro's house I got 290 miles on 87 octane at a steady even pace of 75 mph. on the way back I got almost 350 miles to the tank on 93 octane at the same even pace. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
you should read up a lot more on octane before posting stuff like this.

anyhow... unless your car is choking out black smoke, i'd guess you have a leak as well. to burn that much gas, your AFR's must be in the high10's and low 11's, which would smoke like a chimney... so, no smoke, then the car's not burning it, and the gas is going someplace else.

·
Registered
789 Posts
check your air filter and electrical. If the car has to compensate for lacking components (not enough air or spark) with more fuel, that would be a likely cause

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.