Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I shift to 5th gear in a highspeed I grind. Does anyone know what the problem is?

·
Registered
422 Posts
It hapens to me when i redline 1st is grinds going into second

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I get this too. What does it mean. It only happens to fifth gear at high rpms. At low rpms it's fine.

I had a new clutch and flywheel put in 8 months ago.

I'm going to bleed the clutch fluid and see if that helps. I checked for leaks and none that I've seen. What else could it be?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Worn synchro. Good news is 5th gear is easy to replace, but while you're in there you mareswell do the whole lot.

Good news is that if it's the first time you're transmissions been worked on, as long as you just take them of once and put them back on, everything will likely just slide right on and of the shafts. Otherwise you would ideally use blocks and a press to seperate components. That or 3 jaw puller. The helms reccomends not using pullers, but understandably not everyone can afford use of a press. Just know that if you somehow do nick the working surface of a gear or something, it's done.

Man trannies arent complicated, just make sure you have a shop manual and a place to keep track of all the bits. Double check everything as you put it on and you're fine. It's really really not hard.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
i have the prob with third gear... if i redline 2nd gear it grinds in third. but if i shift about 500rpms before redline on 2nd gear its fine... anything below redline on 2nd gear shifts smoothly.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
i think mine has gotten so bad that when i'm driving in 5th and go to down shift to 4th...it won't go in unless i move it up to 3rd then back down to 4th.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Try replacing your tranny fluid first as this could be a low cost fix before you go onto the other possibilites. My 5th gear started to grind one day when I first bought the car. I repalced the fluid with Honda MTF and the grind has never resurfaced. I acted quickly though. I did not let even two weeks go by before I changed out the fluid. You may even want to try GM Synchromesh since many here have had some luck with it, but my preference would be with Honda MTF if that works for you.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I would recommend NOT taking apart your transaxle. Frankly I don't see how br1t1shguy can suggest doing it yourself with just a shop manual and double-checking. I've overhauled a few Honda B series transaxles before, and although by some people's standards they may not be complicated, I can only say it is probably more difficult to overhaul than the engine itself.

What I'm saying is I would recommend you tearing your engine down and rebuilding it long before I would suggest tearing your trans open and doing the same thing.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Just to update you guys. I had the 5th gear grind and the same week that I got it I replaced it with GM Syncromesh (Not Friction Modified) within a couple of days. Like 6 to be exact. We anyways I had the Honda MTF in there for not even 8 months and when I drained it, it came out all clean and new just as if it came out of the bottle. Well I replaced the Honda MTF with the GM Syncromesh (Not Friction Modified) and after driving the car for 2 days the grind went away.

Another believer of the GM Syncromesh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i second the gm synchromesh...but i can vouch for the friction modified its much better...slittle more costly but it did the trick for my third gear grinding at high rpms

·
Registered
526 Posts
99integls on Aug/25/02 said:
It hapens to me when i redline 1st is grinds going into second
I had the same problem and I took it into the shop for warranty repair and turns out they are gonna replace my CMS. I haven't gotten it back yet, I'll let you know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts