Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trailing arm bushings are shot and I was thinking of replacing them with either the ES or Prothane poly bushings. I've searched this topic and it seems that some recommend the Mugen ones, and others dont' have a problem with the ES ones. Has anyone ever experienced the binding caused by the ES/Prothane bushings? Is there a noticable difference between the Mugen and ES bushings in ride quality and life expectancy?
I think the difference between the Prothane and ES is that the Prothane bushings have the metal piece fused with the bushings while the ES bushing requires reuse of the metal hardware for the arm. Is this the only difference?Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
111 Posts
there has been alot of discussion about trailing arm bushings on several forums. are you sure there isn't a factory replacement for the g3, i have a g2, and i guess there isn't one.i'm prolly just gonna go with the es bushing cuz it seems they're a little softer than the prothane ones. for the street, they should be ok, and they are alot cheaper than the mugens.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what the forums say, Acura only sells the entire arm with the bushing installed. I want to go with something that will last for a longer period of time, cuz the installation is a pita and I probably wouldn't want to replace these bushings again. But for cost, the ES bushings are 21 bucks, while the Prothanes are 100. Not too sure about the Mugen bushings but for sure they're pricey.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
The trailing arm bushing is all but useless even brand new. It's about 2.5" in diameter and is only vulcanised in two spots that are about 1" X 1/2". It's all soft rubber.
If you remove the lower arm...you can bounce the whole trailing arm around like a freekin yo-yo. I used the ES bushings and for the price I wouldn't touch the other brands...they can't be that much better.
And I've had no problems with bind yet...knock on wood.

·
Registered
936 Posts
how do you know if they've gone bad? could you post pics if you have any(or if its visible?) I keep hearing a knocking noise from the rear and i am suspicious it could be these bushings.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jack up your car and take a look at the trailing arm bushing. It's kinda hard to get a good view on it, but if you see cracks on it or if the center is totally separated from the rest of the bushing, it's bad. Mine has small cracks on it so it's gotta go. I'll try to get some pics on this. but I haven't heard any noise from the bushing yet

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think Acura charges about 500 bucks to change each arm. I'm guessing a few hundred per arm, just for parts alone. :( Too much money...have to fix it myself.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Acura now sells just the trailing arm bushing.

If you replace that bushing with one too stiff, it will bind.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Bind is were the bushing does not let the arm return to it's normal operating possition or it simply does not let it move in it's natural range of motion.

The problem some people have with this bushing is they use the lube that comes with the bushings or NoNE AT ALL!
I would recommend a lube from Quicker Suspension 503-654-2175
If you order it you'll know what I'm talking about. It's very spendy stuff but theres nothing like it.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I didnt know there was a pherical bushing for the TA, there probably isnt but a pherical bushing is basicaly a solid ball that prevents any movment other than the direction the part is suposed to go, so there would be no deflection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts