Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98ls and i was wondering would it be better to swap for a type-r engine, or just throw in a supercharger with some nitros maybe?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Search this site for some things, I know that BOTH of these topics have come up. Just in case though...

TypeR engine runs about 5K brand new, good luck getting it and installing it at that price though.

Your car (non vtec LS) is pretty much ready for some mild boost. Superchargers are generally not as harsh on your engine as turbos. I wouldn't recommend adding nitrous though.Thats just too much pressure on your engine IMO.

You're going to get people asking "where do you want your powerband to be at? How much horsepower are you going for? What times do you want to run in the 1/4? Is it a daily driver?" These are the same people who cannot read your mind and need more details than, "would it be better to swap for a type-r engine, or just throw in a supercharger with some nitros maybe?"

Give us some more stuff to work with and we'll be happy to help you further.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if you can't achieve your power goal within your budget using NA, then FI should be the priority...it all depends on your goal.

NA type R engines which have been bored to 2L or CRV VTEC engines can make 210-230 peak whp and 150 lb ft of torque quite easily if you know what you are doing in terms of engine package assembling and tuning.

FI makes 210-230 peak whp without boring out....you can use an LS 1.8L and make that kind of power without a lot of lag with minimal parts compared to the NA way.

if your goals are much more modest like 150-175 whp, then it can be done on a 1.8-2L LS NA with a modest budget.

This is my swap article here. Have you had a chance to check it out?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my car is a daily driver but i also run it on the 1/4 mile here and there. I would like to try to get at least 200 or so whp out of it. I'm still kinda new to all of this,but i want to get good hp and a good 1/4 mile time with it staying street legal.

·
Registered
586 Posts
scott23 on Sep/26/02 said:
my car is a daily driver but i also run it on the 1/4 mile here and there. I would like to try to get at least 200 or so whp out of it. I'm still kinda new to all of this,but i want to get good hp and a good 1/4 mile time with it staying street legal.
when i first got into this stuff and actually bought my car, my goal was similar to yours, except for FI was not in the question. I wanted a 200whp NA GSR, but then after many questions and answers, i told myself, "as long as your delivering pizza for a living, youll never reach 200whp" so i set my goal to a bit lower of 170-180whp on my NA GSR. And with good driving skills, this could be enough to get me into the low 14's. hopefully i will be able to acquire this with the ITR cam setup im planning.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
INOCULANCE for a GSR: polyurethane mounts, ITR cams, cam gears, Skunk 2 IM, DC JDM 4-1 with a good sized system, H&R rear springs, JDM FD, Civic 14 in. wheels, front slicks or DOT legal 8x 22 x14 slicks...tune it..launch at 5000 rpm minimum. many of these items are sold used on ebay...gets you in the 14.0 sec range.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Michael Delaney on Sep/26/02 said:
INOCULANCE for a GSR: polyurethane mounts, ITR cams, cam gears, Skunk 2 IM, DC JDM 4-1 with a good sized system, H&R rear springs, JDM FD, Civic 14 in. wheels, front slicks or DOT legal 8x 22 x14 slicks...tune it..launch at 5000 rpm minimum. many of these items are sold used on ebay...gets you in the 14.0 sec range.
Already have:

skunk2 cam gears
type one 4-2-1 header 2.5 collector
Carsound 2.5 cat
B&M FPR
APEX VAFC
H&R front and back w/ koni reds
es polyurethane mount inserts on their way

Im on my way baby!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts